Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Will files with the same name overwrite each other if they are stored in different folders?

Helpful | Level 6

Will files with the same name overwrite each other if they are stored in different folders? I have hundreds of .JPG  and .MOV files -- they're pictures I took with different iPhones -- that have identical names. I want to avoid accidentally overwriting any more precious photos. I learned the hard way that Dropbox doesn't warn you when you're about to overwrite a file,  or prompt to ask whether you want to replace the same-name file or store both files, as MS Office does. (Strongly recommended update!) For now, I just need to know whether I can safely create a new folder called "Rename later" and upload a bunch of .JPG and .MOV files to rename when I have more time. Or maybe just even leave them in the separate folder forever but still be able to view them in Timeline.

3 Replies

Re: Will files with the same name overwrite each other if they are stored in different folders?

Super User II

@jaybird4 wrote:

For now, I just need to know whether I can safely create a new folder called "Rename later" and upload a bunch of .JPG and .MOV files to rename when I have more time.

Yes, you can. Files of the same name are only replaced when you're uploading them to the same folder where the file already exists.

Re: Will files with the same name overwrite each other if they are stored in different folders?

Dropboxer

Hey there @jaybird4 - how are you today?

To cut to the chase, no, files on different locations won't overwrite files - even if they have the same name - as they're practically considered to be different files (these files and their filepaths change when they're copied to other folders other than the original one), thus, you should be fine to move forward with the task at hand. 

Thanks for providing your valuable feedback too - it really means a lot to us as we're constantly trying to improve our service and features. 

If you have any questions, please let me know. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6

Super. Thanks so much!

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Will files with the same name overwrite each other if they are stored in different folders?
3 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post