cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 tray icon missing

Windows 10 tray icon missing

Gkata
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I have a brand new hp laptop with win10 pro. Installed dropbox latest from website but not able to get dropbox to start or show in system tray. Have disabled all AV and re moved and re installed dropbox via offline install. Now have complete formatted hp laptop and started over but same issue.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @Gkata

Thanks for carrying out @anonymous's suggestions. Just to ensure, did you by any chance attempted an advance reinstall

Let me know of any updates! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Not applicable
Go to solution

Hi Gkata,

I had this same (infuriating!) problem and fixed it thusly:

Right click on the systray area 

select Properties

then select Notification area > customize

At the top there is a link to "Select which icons appear on the taskbar"

Go in there and toggle whatever setting you see for your dropbox icon.

Exit out -- should be fixed.

In my case the dropbox icon was set to "on" and I toggled it off. After exiting the dialog, I had my dropbox icon back in the "show hidden icons" area. I repeated the above and toggled the dropbox icon back to "on" and now it is back in my systray where it belongs.

I hope this helps someone.

Gkata
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
marcionitao thank you for the reply.

I have tried your suggestion but it makes no difference. Yes Dropbox was ticked as ON. I toggled to off then ON again. I even tried enablind and disabling all tray icons. Works for all apps exept dropbox.
Lates I have tried the following:

removed dropbox, run CCcleaner, del temp files, disabled Win10 defender and firewall, logged in as differnet local user, downloaded and installed latest non beta offline installer. Install completed, screen flickers and then no Dropbox in tray. Dropbox service is running in task manager. Best of all - support from Dropbox is non existent. What a waste of money!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @Gkata

Thanks for carrying out @anonymous's suggestions. Just to ensure, did you by any chance attempted an advance reinstall

Let me know of any updates! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

wrxmarcus
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Gkata - I'm sorry this didn't work for you.  However, I did what you did (togged it off & then back on), and the icon immediately showed up. I hope this is helpful for others.

Thanks

cliffryder
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, wondering if you have ever fixed this. The exact same thing has happened to me and I have tried everything you have tried. I realize your post was more than 3 years ago, but I am desperately trying to fix this. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @cliffryder, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Have you tried reinstalling the desktop app on the affected computer yet?

If you did and you're still missing the app's icon in the system tray, I'd appreciate a screenshot so that we can have a visual too.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

cliffryder
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Walter, thanks for reaching out. In fact I have been working with Dropbox support on this for a week. I did try uninstalling and reinstalling, including the "advanced" uninstall/reinstall.  I disabled all virus/firewall stuff as well. I even did a system (Windows 10) reset (the simple one- removing all apps and reinstalling Windows, but leaving all local documents), and that didn't work. In the end I reformatted my entire computer and started from scratch. That worked, but was a pretty dramatic solution. Thanks for checking in, you can reach me privately if you want the case number for the customer service ticket and want to follow the entire process. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cliffryder New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    wrxmarcus New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?