Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Word file doesn't upload

Helpful | Level 5

I've been using Dropbox for some years without problems, mostly Word files  and jpegs.  Suddenly, for the first time, two .docx files created in January this year have failed to upload, while the others created at around the same time and since have uploaded perfectly well. I've just noticed it because I moved to a diferent laptop while away.

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: Word file doesn't upload

Dropboxer

Hey there Donald, welcome to our Community and sorry to hear about this.

Could you first let me know if you're using the website or the desktop application to upload your files to your Dropbox account? If you have access to those files, can you try uploading them again? Do you get any errors? If so, could you include a screenshot in your next reply so I can have a better view of the matter at hand? 

If you'd like to see whether there are files in your Dropbox that may have problematic file names, you can use our lookup tool:  https://www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check

Finally, you can view a full list of the characters (letters, symbols, or numbers) that may be incompatible with the operating system on your computer in this Help Center article:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/files-not-syncing

In any case, please keep me posted on your findings and we'll take it from there.  

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter, many thanks.

I'm accessing Dropbox with a desktop application.  It seems the problem is in the file names, but I am puzzled - the links you gave me don't identify any that should give difficulty.

The names in question both have Turkish letters.  With one of them I found removing the Turkish "ü" from the name led to its uploading immediately (the name still has the Turkish "â"  and "ı").

But I'm puzzled - there are two other files which have the Turkish "ü" which haven't given any difficulty.

As to the second file I though was problematic, I think I may have made a naming mistake which meant I simpy lost it, but I'll keep an eye on it - it has the Turkish "İ" and "ş" but now, after a spelling correction, is behaving perfectly.

Donald

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information Donald - much appreciated.

As I'm not sure what could be causing this issue with syncing those files (there is a known issue but it's only in regards to "İ" as there are no case insensitive equivalents thus making these files unsyncable , in which case you'd need to use the lower case versions of these characters in file and path names), I'd need to have a look with all of my tools at my disposal.

Should you like to dig deeper into this, please let me know so I can reach out via email to your Dropbox address so we can work on it together. 

In any case, thanks for your cooperation and prompt response so far!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks again Walter.

All I can say is that my file name "People - İzzet Mehmed Paşa.docx" syncs without difficulty.

So it seems as though the software does not behave consistently, at least with İ and with ü.

But as to delving deeper, now I know the sorts of naming problem that may occur, I'm content to cross each bridge as I come to it.

Thanks again for your help.

Donald

Dropboxer

I'm glad I could help (even slightly) on this one Donald.

Should you ever come up with a Dropbox question, you know where to find us winking face

In the meantime, have a lovely day ahead!

Walter

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Word file doesn't upload
5 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post