Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Would the device limit affect sharing in any way?

Helpful | Level 5

I have many individual people connecting to a shared Dropbox. Does the three device limit mean only three individuals can connect using the desktop app, or does it mean each individual is limited to three personal devices?

Tags (1)
10 Replies

Re: Device Limits

Dropboxer
Hey @Jim_Shiffrin, how are these users connecting to the shared Dropbox? Have you invited them to a shared folder by any chance? 

It would be worth noting that while each user on a Dropbox Basic account can currently connect up to three devices to their Dropbox account (eg. a laptop & two phones &c.), if you’ve already shared a folder with colleagues/ friends, this will not be affected in any way. 

Hopefully this addresses your initial inquiry & please do let me know here if you have any additional questions or I’ve misunderstood your query in any way. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

Jane,

I like your answer - each user can connect three devices, compared to the option that there can only be three total devices connected to the cloud!

Thanks,

Jim

Dropboxer
Glad to hear that your initial inquiry has been addressed & thanks for looping back here to let me know how my advice works for you @Jim_Shiffrin. Please don’t hesitate to post us again on our Community in the future in case you have more thoughts or questions Jim & take care until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Jane,

Obviously, my friends and I were totally confused by the original warnings from Dropbox. We did not understand that the limitation is on devices per suer, not users per shared folder!

Jim

Explorer | Level 3

May I clarify this even more as our 'team' is in disagreement about the current device limits.  Scenario:

I share my Dropbox with 5 other people.

I sync my Dropbox on my phone and my laptop.

Another Dropbox team member in my house using same WIFI can only sync on his PC, and when he tried to add his phone the error message said "You have a maximum of 3 devices per Dropbox.  Is that because I have 2 devices, he has one, therefore that is the limit?

As the other members have iPads and phones, are these devices over the 3 device limit or are they ok because they have different IP addresses?

Super User II

The limit is three linked devices per account; not per person. If you're sharing your account (which you should NEVER be doing) with two other people, then each of you would be able to link a single device.

The location or IP address doesn't matter. The limit is simply three linked devices. With five others sharing your account, not everyone will be able to link a device. The others would need to sign-in using the Dropbox website.

Explorer | Level 3

Poor communication on my part...the five people have their own Dropbox accounts and are team members of one of my Dropbox folders.  So you're saying three devices per account. That's ok, each person has a separate account.  And you're also saying in a team of 5 who have access to, in this example, one of my shared folders, that 5 people / team members with all separate devices can access that one folder on a shared team basis.

Just odd that the other person in my household (one of the team members) got an error message saying "you have reached the max of three devices".  He thinks that is because I am using a laptop and phone, and he was using his PC and wanting to add phone as well...both with different Dropbox accounts but same IP.   

Thanks

Super User II

If each person has a separate account, then there won't be an issue accessing your shared folder. The device limit doesn't come into play for sharing.

If the other person in your household has their own account, then the device limit they're running into is specific to their account. The location or IP address doesn't matter, and the number of devices on your account won't have an impact on theirs. If they've hit their limit, they should check their Security page to see the devices linked to their account.

Explorer | Level 3

Many thanks.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Would the device limit affect sharing in any way?
10 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post