Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Yet again we don't use dropbox for a shared project

VFX New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I love dropbox and use it a lot personally. But whenever I try to use it for a collaboration it fails. Always.

The simple reason is that you are limited in folder size to whoever has not signed up for the full package. Im trying to setup a system between a team in Poland and a production company in Jakarta and me. I should be able to create a shared folder and they can they can add large amounts of data to even if they don't have the full payed up plan. That way they see how well dropbox works.

As it is dropbox just pisses everyone off because someone is limited to 2.8gb and we have to find a better way that actually works.

You should be letting everyone know what a great system it can be by giving access but not control to new users.

5 Replies

Re: Yet again we don't use dropbox for a shared project

Helpful | Level 6

I have exactly the same problem.

I have clients to work with but I do not want them to buy an plus plan for one project for half a year until it is finished. Dropbox is adding an new application for better organize and comment files - folders but it is useless when someone cannot use shared folder. Commenting my own files is not my priority.

A lot of coworkers are using google drive: when you share a folder, google just count MB of files you added, not entire team file structure. This one thing change a lot. You have so small basic account and you are counting shared file storage on both accounts. 

I tried to find a solution for that, something like workaround (on plus and business plan). There is no way for better collaboriation with clients. Sending a link of shared folder require to work in browser or download entire folder every time there is some changes.

Could be possible to change that in near future? It would be really useful. 

Or maybe you could make something like visitor accounts for clients only - something for simply viewing and commenting but without owning folder structure in account. When I send some folders to one client he can only view and comment it. It could also work with Dropbox Paper.

Dropboxer

Hey people - thank you for your extensive feedback about this - I'll make sure to let the team know.

Now, as shared folders do indeed count towards all members' accounts' quota, let me provide you with some additional information and how to tackle this.

Your Dropbox quota is calculated based on the total contents of your Dropbox, which includes shared folders. A Dropbox account can't sync more than its quota, so a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB, including the space taken up by shared folders.

Because every member of a shared folder can add and modify the files in the shared folder, the shared folder takes up space in each member's account. This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited space by stacking Basic accounts and shared folders.

If you'd like to share a folder without impacting the recipient's quota, you can share a link to the folder, instead which allows users to view or download a one-way, read-only copy of the folder. You can read about this on our Help Center here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/view-only-access

If you'd like others to upload files to your Dropbox account without impacting their own  quota, you can send a file request which enables a requester to have files uploaded to their Dropbox account by other individuals. You can read about this on our Help Center here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/create-file-request

Finally, if you are interested in sharing a quota pool between multiple users, we do have a Dropbox Business subscription. You can read more about Dropbox Business on our website here:  https://www.dropbox.com/business

I hope this information helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6

Hello again, 

I have some questions about Business - Do I need to buy more licenses for sharing a quota? Or it is possible to give Basic user quota for short period of time for working on one project with client? How sharing content with people outside of a team we could manage to be simpler than in Plus account? 

I could not find that information in link you provide slightly smiling face.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Dominik

Dropboxer

Thanks for the swift reply Dominik - much appreciated!

Yes, you'd need to have a license for each user that you'd need to be a part of the same Dropbox for Business Teams account. Our current plans come with a minimum of 3 licenses/users. 

One thing to keep in mind when considering the differences between a Dropbox Business account versus upgrading several Plus or Professional accounts is that the Plus or Professional storage quota is not cumulative. Upgrading 5 accounts to the Plus or Professional 1 TB Plan does not allow you to share more than 1 TB worth of folders because shared folders count against the storage quota for each user, whereas the Business quota for 5 users for example is 5 TB of pooled storage.

For more information on our current plans, you can always have a look at the following page: https://www.dropbox.com/plans 

Last but not least, while it won't be possible to give or share quota with another individual account -even for a limited period of time- you can always have them review the following Help Center article which outlines the ways to get more space on a Dropbox account:

https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/space-storage/get-more-space

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions Dominik! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

VFX New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Great to see some replies and thoughts on this.

How about if the people without the paid up plan could have access to the shared folder, but only as a remote folder. So they can access it like a normal dropbox folder, but without it being mirrored on their machine. 

So for them it would work, but the interactivity would be a bit clunky since the files are not actually on their machine. Then if they wanted faster interactivity they would have to get a proper plan.

That would mean pretty much everyone could get involved on a complex shared project, and would introduce non users to the advantages of dropbox, eventually bringing them on board fully.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Yet again we don't use dropbox for a shared project
5 Replies
2 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post