Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

access to unshared folders?

Explorer | Level 3

I have been advised that if I share a folder within an unshared folder (ie a subfolder) the people who have access to the shared folder can in fact open and view the 'head' folder Is that true? I use Dropbox to collaborate with colleagues who create and edit documents but I only share certain folders within the project. 

Tags (1)
9 Replies

Re: access to unshared folders?

Dropboxer
Hey BredaL, Quick-fire answer: Yes, → That happens because each child folder inherits permissions from the parent directory, which essentially means that if you’ve chosen to share the content residing on the top level, anything that’s placed underneath is visible on the recepient’s end. 

This can only change if you’re working on the new Dropbox Business folder structure, where it’s possible to limit access to a folder even if you have previously been granted access to the parental directory. 

I hope that this is answer you’re seeking, however please let me know if you have more questions about any of the above & I’d happily check back with you. Thanks & enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jane 

Thanks for that I am not sure if that was quite what I was checking?

If I haven't shared the parent folder only a sub folder? I understand that if I share a folder then create further sub folders the users can look further on from the original shared folder to anything createdd within it but I cannot understand why they would then get access to an unshared parent folder?

Breda

Super User II

They would not gain access to the parent level. They only have access to the specific folder you've shared, along with anything within that folder (noting the exception with Business accounts that Jane mentioned).

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Rich.

The reason I was rather concerned was that it was a member of Dropbox Business sales team who told me categorically that they did to persaude me to move to Business. I knew that could not be right. 

Breda

Dropboxer
Thanks for the clarifications; let me re-trace the discussion, as I’ve misinterpretted your initial description @BredaL

At this point I’d merely like to re-phrase Rich’s post, meaning that all your Dropbox content is private & visible only to you by default, unless you purposely share links to files or share folders with others

That said, I can’t be sure where the misunderstanding lies in your discussion with my colleague from the Sales department, however let me quickly note that they may have referred to the team space, that’s a common area for teams on the new Dropbox Business structure. Everyone on the team can access the team space, and everyone sees the same folder structure (however that pertains only to the folder tree & not the content, as the admin can limit someone’s visibility). 

I hope our posts have put your worries to rest & we’re always here with Rich if you have any follow-up questions. Have a lovely rest of your Friday until we talk again Brenda! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jane, you and Rich have reassured me. 

Unfortunately the colleague from Sales was badly ill informed and insisted that all my folders in the chain above the shared folder would be visible by tracing back. It did not seem correct to me he said he had checked with a colleague.  I knew any subsequent files and folders created below would be visible.

Ive emailed him and out him right!

He nearly had us completely shut down and withdraw from Dropbox altogether!

Breda

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear about any frustration this may have caused you @BredaL; have you by any chance kept a copy of this email chain? If so, I’d like to submit your feedback to the relevant team if possible. Would it be okay with you if I created a Support request on our system, so as to follow-up on that a bit closer? Thanks again for all your cooperation Brenda! 

Jane

Explorer | Level 3

Hello Jane, 

I do have I don't want to publicly name an individual but happy if you want to circulate thisexchange to the Dropbox Business SalesTeam (I thinkit is based in Dublin) as since he checked the misinformation goes beyond one person. 

That would be great. 

Breda

Dropboxer

Great, I appreciate the confirmation @BredaL; please check your inbox for my message at your earliest convenience & we’ll take it from there! 

Jane

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

access to unshared folders?
9 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post