Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

all files lost after switching computers, no record of deletion or event

Explorer | Level 4

Hello, 

I currently switched computers and thought I had logged out of and protected my dropbox files to access on my new computer, however, when I found my folder empty. I have tried to recover the files but there is no event or record or them ever being deleted, they've simply vanished. If someone could please help me to do a "rollback" to recover my dropbox as it was I would greatly appreciate it. I have very important files which I need access to and have now been dealing with this issue for weeks with no success. Thank you!

Megan 

7 Replies

Re: all files lost after switching computers, no record of deletion or event

Super User II

Hi @mmccaugh

What is www.dropbox.com/events showing - does it show uploads etc.? 

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Mark, 

No, it does not show uploads. It's entirely blank. I believe something happened when my old computer was reimaged. It does not give me an options to restore deleted files either. 

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, the first thing I’d like us to check is if you’re accessing the same account as before on the new computer.

In each of these places, we want to find the email address used to connect to Dropbox. Please also look carefully for typos in your email address in any of these places.

1. On your computer, click on the small Dropbox icon in your menu bar or system tray. Click on the gear in the Notifications panel. Click on Preferences, then click on Account.
2. On iOS, open your Dropbox app and tap on "Account". On Android, open your Dropbox app, tap on the Menu button, and then tap on "Settings".
3. On the Dropbox website, click on your avatar or the face in the top right corner.

If you’re seeing deleted files, but you can’t restore them, then it’s possible you might be a member on a Dropbox Business team, and the files are in a shared folder or team folder and you have view only access.

Let me know more about what you find out!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay, 

Thank you for your help. I am indeed logging in with the correct email address and password, this had to be reset but when I log in there are no files, and no events of files being deleted. I contacted IT at my university because the files were on a laptop that I turned in, but IT for the department is telling me there are no files on the computer so in essence I need a "roll back" of my dropbox account to recover the files. This has been going on for 3 weeks now and there are files I need to access urgently. I have been unable to find direct contact information for Dropbox apart from this forum. Any help you can provide is much appreciated!

Sincerely, 

Megan 

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
If there’s no events showing on this page then it means that nothing was deleted from the account.

Is it possible that the files were in a shared folder? Could you see if you can add it back onto your account from this page?

Aside from that, have you contacted our team via the support page?

Let me know if you need further assistance on this matter.

Jay

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay, 

Thank you again for your suggestions. There are no files/folders in either of the links you provided. There are no "events" I believe because I was given a new Dropbox account and was told my files would be merged and appear in the new account. I have not been able to successfully contact support via the other link you provided as they require an "event link" to submit the request and I am unable to bypass this requirement to submit my request. I hope that is helpful!

Sincerely, 

Megan

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
I’ve reached out to your email address in order to assist further on this matter!

Jay

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

all files lost after switching computers, no record of deletion or event
7 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post