cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: can't download files from my dropbox

can't download files from my dropbox

MichaelWeet
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm trying to download folders from Dropbox to my laptop.
Some have worked but 2 folder won't download.
Any reason why this is happening?
Many thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
It shouldn’t be that hard Michael (@MichaelWeet); sorry to hear that you’re feeling this way. Kindly bear in mind that you could still download your files using our website in smaller batches if you wish to avoid downloading our desktop app. From there, you can store them on any other location on your pc/ Mac just as any other file/ folder. 

You may give my suggestion a go whenever you find some spare time & please do let me know how you get on with my advice on our discussion here!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there (@MichaelWeet), you should be able to download the contents of an entire Dropbox folder via dropbox.com, as long as it’s less than 20 GB in total size & it contains less than 10,000 total files. Are you getting any error messages when you’re trying to download these files by any chance Michael? Additionally, are you trying to download the files in question directly from your account or from a shared link?

If you need to download a folder that’s larger than 20 GB, then the best way to do so is by adding the files to your Dropbox account & syncing :arrows_counterclockwise:/:white_check_mark: them to your computer using the Dropbox desktop application.

Hopefully my message brings a bit of clarity & provides you a useful alternative; please do let me know my suggestion works for you or in case you need further assistance in any way!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

TonyEnglund
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

It could also be because you already have the files/folders synced to your computer. Then you won't get the "download button" in the web interface.

MichaelWeet
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

What I'm trying to do is take the files off Dropbox and save them on a hard drive.
I don't want to lose the files but it seems very difficult to move files from Dropbox to laptop. I'm almost trapped into keeping them in Dropbox!!!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
It shouldn’t be that hard Michael (@MichaelWeet); sorry to hear that you’re feeling this way. Kindly bear in mind that you could still download your files using our website in smaller batches if you wish to avoid downloading our desktop app. From there, you can store them on any other location on your pc/ Mac just as any other file/ folder. 

You may give my suggestion a go whenever you find some spare time & please do let me know how you get on with my advice on our discussion here!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Animus
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

LMFAO  This was the solved answer?  Condescending talk of...."it shouldn't be that hard." [profanity removed according to the Community Guidelines].

Slaine
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue and can't download the file using the web interface. I click the download button and nothing happens.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Slaine, if you’ve got a bit of spare time, can you please check if that persists across browsers or through an incognito window/ in private browsing mode for you? Can you also try repeating once without any extensions running & see if that amends the behavior? As an additional step, would you mind clearing your browser's cache & see if this does the trick for you this time? If you’re still getting the same results after trying my suggestions, I’d appreciate it if you included a screenshot of any error/diagnostic messages you’re seeing in your next reply here, so as to get a better idea of what’s happening.

Please let me know your findings here & once you get back in touch with me, we can discuss it in more detail. Until we talk again, have a wonderful rest of your day! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Slaine
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Jane

Thanks for the reply.

Clearing the cache doesn't work, using Google Chome or MS Edge doesn't work.
Trying to download a different file doesn't work.

The error message says "There was an error downloading your file." 

I've checked the browser permissions and other than blocking ads, midi player and pop ups and redirects (default chrome behaviour) everything else inclduing downloads is available.

You'd think that I ought to be able to download my own files, right?

Slaine
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Error MessageError Message

I've sanitised the file on the image but that's the error being shown.

Need more support?