cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: can't download files from my dropbox

can't download files from my dropbox

MichaelWeet
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm trying to download folders from Dropbox to my laptop.
Some have worked but 2 folder won't download.
Any reason why this is happening?
Many thanks

18 Replies 18

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I appreciate your cooperation & thanks for taking the time to try my suggestions & grab this screenshot for me @Slaine; that’s mostly appreciated!

Now, as you mentioned that this persists for you despite being the file owner, I’d like to see if I can re-create this behavior on my end, so I’ve now made sure to create a ticket on our system on your behalf. Whenever you have some spare time, please have a look at your inbox for my message & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you soon. Thanks again for keeping in touch on this discussion & I’ll be awaiting your next reply via email! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

matryoshkan
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm trying to downgrade my Dropbox account and wish to access all my files that were previously stored under smart sync on DB cloud (online), but now i want them locally. 

1) How do i do that in one bulk download, so I can get access to all my files locally?

2) I tried to download a file more than 20GB, but the zip download failed. 

Thanks. 

mr c.1
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I'm in the same boat... (a) for years I hacve done manual sync procedures as the desltop app does not work.  i repeat = SYNC has never worked for me on ANY SYSTEM. 

Stupidly, I kept using dropbox. I  manually sync my files.  Yet I have spent the last two days trying to download my files from Dropbox. Consistently failing to download in any browser (and yes, I have suitable internet).

Is this a pruposeful act by dropbox to keep me as an `apathetic' client?  

Now, in this post I see this statement " as long as it’s less than 20 GB in total size & it contains less than 10,000 total files. " .... I cannot find any reference to this in the dropbox documentation (or TOS)?   

I would like to confirm if the 10,000 file limit is also applied to folders that are smaller than 20GB ??

I am utterly confused as to how I can get my files away from Dropbox (unless I continue to manually download single files and folders????)  

They should not have adjusted the accounts. Now I am actually reviewing my service experience past and present. The finding is that the Dropbox project is severly lacking. 

Any advise on how I can get my files off Dropbox? 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @matryoshkan & @mr c.1!

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with downloading your files from our website; let's see what we can do to tackle this now. 

At first, could you let me know if you're running our desktop app on your computer? This would help a lot since all of your Dropbox files reside within your Dropbox folder and it would be only a matter of time to sync all of your content locally. 

@mr c.1: As you mentioned that syncing has never worked for you, could you elaborate a tad on your situation? Were/are you running the desktop app and working on your files within the Dropbox folder? What is its exact status when you hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon within your computer's system tray/menu bar? 

As per the limits on downloading from our website, you can find more information in the relevant Help Center article

In any case, I'll be waiting for your response to assist further. 

@matryoshkan: If you're indeed running the desktop app, you can right-click on your Dropbox folder and set it to be available locally (instead of Online Only). 

Keep us posted on your progress!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

mr c.1
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi Walter, 

thanks for your reply. 

(a) I am using windows 10 , with the app installed -- it won't sync. Currently I have only 1500 files (three folders) selctively synced and the app is crashing. 

(b) I succcessfully downloaded a 360mb .zip, whereby anything larger fails. Therefore, if I follow this success I would need to make three zips per GB; with 500GB of storage this would mean 1500 manual interactions. I am not going to do that. 

(c) RE: the file limits are in the help centre articles = this is not good enough. It needs to be up-front and in the terms of service (TOS). Sorry, but I cannot accept this obfuscation of such an important service limitation. 

(d) When I hover over the app I either get Starting...and occassionally it shows Syncing. In either case the app crashes after a few minutes of use. 

(e) Herbert @Dropbox support found three files that may have been responsible for sync problems due to naming conventions (funny how he could find that issue in moments, but end users like myself have no way of finding this out except by contacting support?). Having deleted the files in question the service is no different.

(f) I have been through multiple documents, literally days (I am estimating 50 hours now) of research and testing. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, followed the advanced install methods. 

It is at the point where I am asking Dropbox to initiate a migration for me to my Google Drive because I want away from your services before my next bill is due. My holiday end soon and I need to have this solved. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your extensive reply and your invaluable feedback on this @mr c.1 - I appreciate you took the time to let us know all the troubleshooting you've done so far.

Your description and most of the pain points you listed makes me wonder about the total amount of files you have in your Dropbox account since the performance of our desktop app can decline if you have more than 300,000 files syncing to the device in question. 

I've also found your existing ticket that's within an expert's inbox already and passed your comments there so we can have all the relevant information under one place. 

At this point, I'd suggest to continue troubleshooting this via your ticket since it's obvious that the issue you're experiencing is device and account specific and we don't have a visual of such info on our Community. 

I understand this is not optimal, yet, I sure hope this helps at a certain extent. 

PS: As per the failed downloads, I'd suggest using another browser or clearing your browser's cache since downloads under 20 GB should be working normally. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

mr c.1
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi Walter, 

thanks for your time.
I am sitting here, having had another all night session trying to fix this...so any support from the techs would be greatly appreciated.  

RE: file limits ... I am aware of this and I am selectively syncing only a few number of folders. At times dropbox decides to change my preferences and download all files... so i got back and re-establish my preferences and start again. It is beyond surreal now,

I look forward to hearing from the tech team (soon?)

Thank you

Victoria H.12
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Early dropbox adopter.  Non paying.  Understanding that technology and complexity delights techys, it does not delight everyone.  Some of us actually have other things to do than figure out new UIs.  So now, I am going to switch to a paid service.  

Ela2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

As somebody put it above...it feels like dropbox has trapped us here. I have been trying to download my files of my paid subscription and just postponed it forever and ever rather than dealing with it. There should be a dummy-proof download button I should not have to download an app to be be able to download my files. I am asking the help of a friend to figure it and will let my subscription expire. It feels like a marketing move to prevent people from getting away or buying more time until they figure it out. Unethical. 

Need more support?