Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

.dng files are supported but something went wrong

Explorer | Level 3

Hello. Yesterday I converted a Lightroom Desktop preset into a .dng file, transferred it to my phone via an attachment to an e-mail (770.81 kb) and it worked perfectly.

Today I created a different preset which I exported in the same manner from Lightroom.  I then transferred it into Dropbox. I am trying to open it from Dropbox, however, I am having issues (listed below).

Here are some specifics that I hope will help:

Programs/websites used: Adobe Lightroom Classic on Desktop, Adobe Lightroom-Photo Editor & Pro Camera (Lightroom Android v4.4.2), Dropbox Desktop and Dropbox.com

.DNG File Size: 1.46 MB (1460 kb) 

Computer used: Dell / Windows 10

Phone used: Samsung S8

If I open the .dng preset file using the Dropbox phone app, I am not able to see the thumbnail image which represents the .dng file. I get a message stating "Thumbnail failed to load".  I am not given an option to download the .dng file directly to my phone or at all.

If I open the file on dropbox.com using Chrome on my phone, I get a message stating ".dng files are supported but something went wrong". I do get a dropdown button to download the file. I can download it and use the preset on my Lightroom Mobile App by doing it this way. After I download the .dng file to my phone, I am able to actually see the image representing each .dng file in Lightroom Mobile. 

Upon opening the files in the Dropbox on the desktop, I am able to see the .dng files as images.

Why are the images for thumbnails failing to load when opening via the Dropbox app on my phone?

Why do I get a message stating ".dng files are supported but something went wrong" when opening the files on dropbox.com?

Is my .dng file too big? I have learned that a Megabyte is one thousand times bigger than a Kilobyte. Would that cause this issue? If so, how do I correct this? When exporting from Lightroom Desktop with Preset to dng (export with preset> export to dng) I am not given the option to resize. I prefer not to have to resize the edited photo as I already resize it much smaller just to get it into an acceptable size for a website. 

Screenshot_20191021-175218_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191021-175238_Dropbox.jpg

Screenshot_20191021-175248_Dropbox.jpg

6 Replies

Re: .dng files are supported but something went wrong

Dropboxer

Hi @Jbrod2016. Thanks for raising this thread. 

You helped so much with the screenshots added here. Time for me to help you. The .dng files will not preview if they are larger than 200 MB or 50 megapixels. So you should not have a problem with this 1.46 MB. What version of the mobile app do you have installed? 

Does the preview still fail if you switch from Wifi to cellular network? 

Please send me a screenshot of your device’s storage clearly showing the amount of free storage space that you have.

Finally, is this issue only with this one file? thinking face

Looking forward to your reply to troubleshoot.

P.S. You can resize your images with Pixrl via Dropbox.com Darthttps://www.dropbox.com/app-integrations/pixlr 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Hello! Thank you for your help! 

Yes, it still happens if I am on Wifi or cellular. 

I tried to make them even smaller (after I posted this) but it did not work. 

This is happening with all of the files I have made.

Since this is just an experimental preset, I am including the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/My%20Dropbox%20Move/Pictures/Presets/Cafe%20Con%20Leche/Lightroom%20...

Screenshot_20191021-202909_Device care.jpg

Explorer | Level 3
Dropbox version 162.2.6

Explorer | Level 3
Sorry, I forgot to include the Dropbox version. It is 162.2.6

Dropboxer

Thanks for the info @Jbrod2016

Let's try a few things whenever you get the time. 

• Use another mobile browser, an incognito window of your mobile browser and a web browser to see if the file previews there. If it doesn't, there could be something wrong with the version of the file. We could restore to a previous version, if there is one. Read about this here
  • Reinstall the Dropbox mobile app and make sure the Lightroom app is up to date on your phone as well. 

If nothing works, get back to me. nerd face I will dig into account related details via email and assist you further! tools 

Thanks in advance! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Hello, 

I did everything mentioned. I tried from a different browser. It did not show the images.

There was not a previous version of the file so I created a new/different preset today. I am still having the same issue. I uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox from my phone as well as my desktop. 

Lightroom mobile was uninstalled and reinstalled as well. It is up to date.

Before I did this I was able to see the images that represented the .dng files on my desktop. Now I cannot any of the old ones that I could see before or the new one. 

Also, I still cannot see them on my phone after uninstalling Dropbox and reinstalling them. 

Below is a Dropbox link to view a screen recording of the new Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i2uaeffguppku6j/AAAVzmkQk32Iv6rOBZcx_L3va?dl=0

1.jpg1.jpg

2.jpg2.jpg

3.jpg3.jpg

LR Mobile New Updated.jpgLR Mobile New Updated.jpg

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

.dng files are supported but something went wrong
6 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post