Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Highlighted

drag and drop files to a third part online drop box

Explorer | Level 3

I have been using dropbox for over 6 months now. When I dragged a Word file from my computer to the dropbox folder, it went as the FILE NAME. Now, on a different computer, the file turns into a Word icon with a circle that has an angled line through  it can it can't be dropped. HELP. Only alternative is to EMAIL all these files!

13 Replies

Re: drag and drop files to a third part online drop box

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, it sounds like on the second computer that you don’t have permission to copy the file to that location.

Is it by any chance a shared folder which has read-only access? Are you doing this on a Windows or Mac device? 

Could you forward a screenshot showing this behavior in order for us to investigate further? Thanks in advance!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

I can download no problem. Unfortunately, the photos option works to add photo but not to upload. The one below doesn't work either. Sorry. 

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Are you clicking this icon to upload the screenshot to the forum?

Attach photo.jpg

Also, could you give me the details mentioned in my previous response?

Jay

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Yes, that one. Also the one below. I can drag the pic to where it says, but it won't upload or whatever it says. I'm on Windows 10 on a new latop, switched from and old desktop running Windows 10 as well, from which I could upload fine. I  just tried it again and it does NOTHING when you click upload. The one below the note won't let me drag the pic into the box.

Super User II

If memory serves, you need to be Level 3 or higher in the forums before you can use the built-in functions for posting photos or videos. I believe it was done to prevent the spamming of unrelated content bu 0-day users.

You can always save the screenshot in your Dropbox and create a link to it, or post a link using any of the various screenshot/image hosting sites. Personally, I use Gyazo.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks, I'll let my team know about the uploads.

Regarding your query, is it a Windows or Mac device? Are you dragging it into a shared folder, team folder, or private folder? Are you dragging it directly onto the Dropbox site instead of your machine? Have you tried clicking the upload button if you’re using the site?

Jay

Explorer | Level 3

Upload to shared link error.png

it's 14.27b

Explorer | Level 3

I'm on Windows 10. Did you look at the pic? The right side shows the icon, which drags but doesn't drop. My client said the files I sent by email were read-only. I checked and they're not marked that way. Could that be reason (if so, there's no way to fix it on my end). Does dropbox convert them to that?

Upload to shared link error.png

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for the image, it looks like you’re trying to add files to a shared link, instead of adding it directly to a folder on your Dropbox account.

Shared links are a one-way, read-only link, so you can’t upload, edit or delete files via that shared link.

Therefore you’ll need to upload files into your folders on the site. If you want your client to edit the files, you’ll need to share the folder with edit permissions. They’ll need their own Dropbox account in order to add that folder to their account as well.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

drag and drop files to a third part online drop box
13 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post