cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropbox.device getting installed on my USB

dropbox.device getting installed on my USB

epatton
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How can I stop dropbox from creating a dropbox.device on USBs when I plug them into my PC? Dropbox is also creating a popup each time to plug in a USB. It didn't do this before, and I hadn't recently installed dropbox. Very annoying. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

The dropbox.device file is being used by more features than the Camera Uploads now, so the solution in this (VERY OLD) thread really doesn't apply anymore. The file is used to remember your preferences for drives you insert. You may get a notification to upload photos or backup a drive when you insert a new drive, and there's often an option to remember your choice. If Dropbox didn't place the file on the drive then it wouldn't know that it's the same drive the next time it's plugged in.

There's an option in Preferences to hide all notifications when external drives are plugged in. Try enabling that, along with disabling Camera Uploads, and see if it stops the file from being added to devices.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Disable Camera Uploads.

Deep25sahu
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
1. Disable Camera Uploads.

2. Change Auto Play Defaults

Change it " To Take No Action" From " import Photos And Videos (Dropbox) "

gregwhiteshark
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

This isn't working for me.   

I don't understand how to disable uploads.   I am using Mac OS 10.14.6.  There is no "Files and Folders" section in Privacy tab, so I can't disable it.   I keep getting this error whenever I try to import images into lightroom from my SD card:

Some import operations were not performed.

Thie fles are not photos or videos. (1)

.dropbox.device

tom_stein
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

As of today, there is no checkbox to disable the upload. You can only chose "Photos only" or "Photos and videos". And changing the Windows AutoPlay settings to "Show Explorer window" will still create that damned file on any USB device.

So Dropbox - I'll drop you!

kalapanga
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The suggested solution doesn't work!
This behavior is typical of malicious programs! If unauthorized writing of files to discs does not stop soon, I will stop using dropbox!

Gigabyte
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It's a big problem!

File .dropbox.device is created without user's agree on all USB and cloud drives.

How to stop and disable it?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

The dropbox.device file is being used by more features than the Camera Uploads now, so the solution in this (VERY OLD) thread really doesn't apply anymore. The file is used to remember your preferences for drives you insert. You may get a notification to upload photos or backup a drive when you insert a new drive, and there's often an option to remember your choice. If Dropbox didn't place the file on the drive then it wouldn't know that it's the same drive the next time it's plugged in.

There's an option in Preferences to hide all notifications when external drives are plugged in. Try enabling that, along with disabling Camera Uploads, and see if it stops the file from being added to devices.

Gigabyte
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox now hasn't settings to disable Camera uploads.

For remember drives and preferences devices has VolumeID and not need write any file on his. If all programs will be write own files on devies for remember any options - really it will be good?

Dropbox can use own local database of devices and preferences.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Gigabyte wrote:

Dropbox now hasn't settings to disable Camera uploads.

It never has, at least on Windows. You disable it by changing the autoplay settings so Dropbox isn't listed for the device.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    kalapanga Helpful | Level 5
    Gigabyte Helpful | Level 6
    tom_stein Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?