Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

no

Highlighted

dropbox links on mobile -- is it possible to NOT open the app?

New member | Level 2

I have several links to PDFs from my dropbox that I list in a webpage. I want people that clink on it to see the file in a new tab, out of the Dropbox web interface. For that, I changed the link from dl=0 to raw=1, and that works fine in computers for any browser.

The thing is that, if clicking the links from a mobile/tablet (where the Dropbox App is installed), the link directs to the App. Is it possible to "block" it, such that the link always opens in the browser, no matter if the recipient opens it from a mobile/computer browser?

These links are directed to students who, once upon seeing the prompt to (not)open on the app, give up doing so as they do not want to load things into their dropbox. I know that if the user chooses not to open in the app, the file is open in the browser, but only the prompt is making the students already give up.

an example of one of the links: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5uveq571tshtr8/ENG_pset1.pdf?raw=1

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
4 Replies

Re: dropbox links on mobile -- is it possible to NOT open the app?

Dropboxer

Hello @brunoconteleite, thanks for reaching out to us! 

When users open the shared link from their mobile devices, there should be an option at the bottom of the prompt that says Continue to website. 

Let me know if you don't see it or if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hi Lusil, thanks for reaching back. There is indeed a prompt -- my interest would be to know whether it is actually possible to avoid it so that the link will Continue to website by the standard, with no prompt. Do you think it is possible?

Dropboxer

Although there isn't a way to put it as a default to always continue to the website, your feedback is much appreciated. 

If there's anything else I can help with or you have any other comments for us, just give us a shout. 

In the meantime, have a wonderful weekend ahead, @brunoconteleitegrinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

perfect, thanks!

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

dropbox links on mobile -- is it possible to NOT open the app?
4 Replies
1 Like
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post