cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

embedding links into microsoft word documents

embedding links into microsoft word documents

Lizthewizz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am new to drop box and giving it a test run for work so forgive me if this is a newbie question....   I would like to create a document in word that has multiple links in it to other word or PDF documents.  In this way, I can have a document that is clear and simple, but we will be able to easily access detailed information when needed.  I would like to have the primary document, and all the link documents, in drop box so that when I share it with others, they will be able to click through the links to reach the secondary document.  Is there a simple way to do this?  

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Lizthewizz wrote:

I would like to have the primary document, and all the link documents, in drop box so that when I share it with others, they will be able to click through the links to reach the secondary document.  Is there a simple way to do this?

No, there isn't, and it's due to how Microsoft creates the links to the documents.

When you link to another file or object in an Office document, the full path to that file is used in the link. Let's assume for a minute that you're on Windows, your Dropbox folder is in its deafult location, and the files that you're linking to are in a shared folder called Docs. The full path to one of those files would look like this:

C:\Users\Lizthewizz\Dropbox\Docs\File.pdf

You could create a Word document and link to that file easily, and it would work just fine for you. The problem comes when you share it or try to use it on another computer. Let's assume the same details for me. The full path to that file on my computer would be:

C:\User\Rich\Dropbox\Docs\File.pdf

When I open the Word document you created that contains the link to the PDF, Word on my computer would be looking for it in the same path as yours, meaning under the Lizthewizz folder, when the file on my computer is actually located under the Rich folder. The link would fail because Word can't find the file. And this doesn't even get into the fact that I can move or rename your shared folder on my computer without it changing on yours, so the full path on mine could be completely different.

The only way to make it work is if everyone stores their Dropbox folder in the exact same location, such as C:\Dropbox, and doesn't move or rename the shared folder where the documents exist.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Lizthewizz wrote:

I would like to have the primary document, and all the link documents, in drop box so that when I share it with others, they will be able to click through the links to reach the secondary document.  Is there a simple way to do this?

No, there isn't, and it's due to how Microsoft creates the links to the documents.

When you link to another file or object in an Office document, the full path to that file is used in the link. Let's assume for a minute that you're on Windows, your Dropbox folder is in its deafult location, and the files that you're linking to are in a shared folder called Docs. The full path to one of those files would look like this:

C:\Users\Lizthewizz\Dropbox\Docs\File.pdf

You could create a Word document and link to that file easily, and it would work just fine for you. The problem comes when you share it or try to use it on another computer. Let's assume the same details for me. The full path to that file on my computer would be:

C:\User\Rich\Dropbox\Docs\File.pdf

When I open the Word document you created that contains the link to the PDF, Word on my computer would be looking for it in the same path as yours, meaning under the Lizthewizz folder, when the file on my computer is actually located under the Rich folder. The link would fail because Word can't find the file. And this doesn't even get into the fact that I can move or rename your shared folder on my computer without it changing on yours, so the full path on mine could be completely different.

The only way to make it work is if everyone stores their Dropbox folder in the exact same location, such as C:\Dropbox, and doesn't move or rename the shared folder where the documents exist.

EBAngeletti
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I know this is an old answer but I have a similar question - we are trying to create a word doc with links to our dropbox but I can't get the links to work. Our organization all has access to/permissions to use the files I'm trying to link. I am thinking there is a simple way to place links in a word doc but I'm missing something. Can you help? 

EBAngeletti
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is this still the case with trying to add links within a Microsoft doc? Thanks!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@EBAngeletti wrote:

Is this still the case with trying to add links within a Microsoft doc? Thanks!

If you're referring to embedded file links within Office documents, yes.

EBAngeletti
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes - thanks for your reply!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

EBAngeletti New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?