Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

how do I reset dropbox sync on desktop and ignore local changes?

New member | Level 2

My windows desktop hasn't synced with dropbox online for months. I would like to replace all local files with the online files even if the local files have changed. Dropbox app hasn't been running. How do I restart it without the local changes being sent to the online folders? Essentially I would like to restart dropbox on this desktop like it was never there at all. Can I just delete the local Dropbox folder and then start the dropbox app? 

2 Replies

Re: how do I reset dropbox sync on desktop and ignore local changes?

Super User II

Unlink your computer from your Dropbox account. Rename the local Dropbox to Dropbox.old (if you want to retain the folder, otherwise you can just delete it), then re-link the computer to your account. The Dropbox folder will be recreated and all of the files in your account online will sync down to your computer.

Re: how do I reset dropbox sync on desktop and ignore local changes?

New member | Level 2

thanks, that worked. 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

how do I reset dropbox sync on desktop and ignore local changes?
2 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post