Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

yes

how to delete my photos in my smartphone only? not both of sides(smartphone and dropbox)

Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I am using Dropbox professional plan.

I am currently using my Galaxy smartphone to sync my smartphone photos via dropbox.

I want to delete the photos on my smartphone after syncing, but I expect the photos in the dropbox to disappear.

Are there any way to just delete the photos from smartphone excluding photos in dropbox?

Do you ever be able to back up photos taken on your smartphone via dropbox? Please answer someone you know.

Thank you.

Tags (2)
5 Replies

Re: how to delete my photos in my smartphone only? not both of sides(smartphone and dropbox)

Dropboxer

Hey there @Oreobanana

If you've added photos to your Dropbox account either manually uploading them or by using camera uploads, please note that those photos are separate from the ones in your mobile device's internal storage. 

In other words, if you delete a photo from your Camera Roll on your mobile device, that photo won't be deleted from your Dropbox account, and vice versa. 

Hope this helps!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: how to delete my photos in my smartphone only? not both of sides(smartphone and dropbox)

Explorer | Level 4
Thank you for kind reply

I just have one more question, what is the meaning of the sentence, “please note that those photos... seperate...”

And how to note(define) the folder that is separate b/w dropbox and smartphone? Could you explain the method kindly?

Thank you again for your help

Dropboxer

No worries, @Oreobanana

@Oreobanana wrote:
I just have one more question, what is the meaning of the sentence, “please note that those photos... seperate...”

Imagine that you add a photo to your Dropbox account from your mobile's Camera Roll. 

Once the upload is done, you then have two of the same photo:

• One in your mobile device's Camera Roll (which takes up space on your device).
  • One in your Dropbox account (which doesn't take up space on your mobile).

For this reason, if you delete the photo that's in your Camera Roll, the one in your Dropbox account won't be removed, and vice versa.

@Oreobanana wrote:
And how to note(define) the folder that is separate b/w dropbox and smartphone? Could you explain the method kindly?

The photo in your mobile is the one in your Gallery/Photos internal storage. The location of the image you added to your Dropbox account depends how you uploaded it. 

More specifically, if you added it:

• Manually - it's in the folder in which you uploaded it to. For example, if I add a photo to my Dropbox account in a folder called "Summer", the photo will be in that folder. 
  • Using camera uploads - the photo is in a folder called "Camera Uploads" (or the equivalent language).

I hope this helps clarify my previous post, but don't hesitate to get back to me if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you again for your very kind description!

I have one more question.

You mentioned that If I delete the photo that's in my Camera Roll, the one in my Dropbox account won't be removed. In this part, I do not clearly understand why it works like that because dropbox and cameraroll has been synced since camera upload function.

is dropbox synchronizing simultaneously b/w my Carmera Roll and dropbox folder? So, If I delete my photo in my Camera Roll, those of photo in dropbox folder will be deleted at the same time due to synchronizing function.

I really thank you for your practical help again. 

Dropboxer

Hey @Oreobanana,

The camera uploads feature only adds photos to your Dropbox account from your Camera Roll, it doesn't sync them.

The Camera Uploads folder is the one that syncs throughout your Dropbox account (to the website, the desktop app, and the mobile app).

This is because syncing can only successfully happen to files and folders that are inside your Dropbox account, not outside of it. 

You can think of it like this:

• The Camera Uploads folder is part of your Dropbox account.
  • The Camera Roll folder is part of your mobile device. 

Let me know if you have any other questions or if you'd like me to clarify something further. Thanks!

Lusil

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

how to delete my photos in my smartphone only? not both of sides(smartphone and dropbox)
5 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey