Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

iOS 11 iPad pro make folders available offline

Explorer | Level 4

I have recently upgraded to Dropbox Plus so I can have entire folders available offline.  I am using the new IOS 11 files app.  Works great while online but when in offline, I can’t select the Dropbox area and see files.  Only when back online.  I can go to the actual Dropbox app as see offline files.  

Why can’t I see offline files when using the IOS 11 files app?

Tags (2)
23 Replies

Re: iOS 11 iPad pro make folders available offline

Super User II
Have you marked them as Offline dcarl? Its not an automatic procedure:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/mobile/offline-folders

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 4

While in the actual IOS 11 system, using the new “files” app, you can select a file and it will download, but as soon as you go offline, you cannot even get into the Dropbox files listed in the IOS 11 file app.  Does that make sense?  I’m attaching a screen shot of what it looks like while offline.

IMG_0046.png

Super User II
The offline files does not work with apps outside of Dropbox. Thats something you'd need to take up with Apple for them to change I'm afraid.

The offline files is for use within Dropbox itself only.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

This is a Dropbox problem. Even if Apple is blocking some part of their API, it's still a Dropbox issue. 

Apple doesn't listen to end users ever. It's only ever going to listen to the developers who make them money. Apple doesn't even pay for security issues if they don't think you are someone capable of doing them harm. You have to make it clear to them that they lose by messing with you, and even then sometimes they still don't care.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

@NadiaK wrote:

This is a Dropbox problem. Even if Apple is blocking some part of their API, it's still a Dropbox issue. 

While I don’t agree with you, I respect your opinion on this matter.

I can’t speak for Apple, however I can say that Offline folders are only possible in the official Dropbox app. These offlined files/folders cannot be accessed from anywhere but the Dropbox app.

If the iOS Files app doesn’t have it’s own offline feature, then there isn’t anything that Dropbox can do to force a change, since this simply isn’t an option in the connection to the Files app.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Sure there is. Dropbox can save to a folder that you can access in files like other file sharing apps. You can already do this with images, but you can't with psds for example. The ability for files to access Dropbox without double saving things would be ideal, but the app could refactor it's own feature to have saved offline files be saved in a different way. Double saving images or files is terrible because images  and layered psds can easily run into the multi-GB size.

There are many solutions to the problem. I supposed waiting to see what iOS 12 breaks is the best course of action. I just don't agree with passing this off on the end user. Apple is a mess on the iOS side of things. It's on developers to annoy the living crap out of them until they capitulate on many issues.

Explorer | Level 3

There is one app I have found that can access offline Dropbox files and folders on iOS. It is mostly only useful for PDFs, which is one major reason I invested in an iPad Pro. It is called PDF Expert. Having sync'd a whole library in Dropbox to my iPad I was getting incredibly frustrated with the iOS closed environment and having to share files one at a time between apps. Almost by accident, I discovered a Sync function in PDF Expert which allows me to choose any folder/subfolder array in Dropbox or other cloud storage. Anything I drop into those folders in my Macbook appears in the Dropbox cloud drive app AND simultaneously in PDF Expert. Another thing that is cool, and I have no idea why this works, is that movie clips also play within PDF Expert - so I guess it has built-in code for that. One thing it won't open unfortunately is e-Books (I only have a few) which I still have to push to the iOS reader app (not great) individually.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
That’s a different aspect, this is simply an app using the Dropbox API to connect to your Dropbox account, gaining access to your files there.

This doesn’t allow you to access files offlined in the Dropbox app.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

No - in fact, I wondered if that was all it was doing. Having set the whole thing up, I tested it by disconnecting wifi to see if I could access the files, and indeed I can.  The workflow is that you have to have the Dropbox app on the iPad, otherwise none of this works (as described by the PDF Expert help support). Within the Dropbox app, you make whatever folder of files you want available offline. I have about 6GB of academic books and papers, so this took a few hours to download from the cloud. Then within PDF Expert there is a Synced Folder option for any folders in the Dropbox cloud. Once you have selected a folder (I obviously selected the one containing the offline files) it appears in a "Synced Folders" icon.  Like you, I was quite sceptical and have thoroughly tested it out. I do a lot of work on planes etc with no access to the internet, so I made **bleep** sure I could have my portable library with me and accessible everywhere I go. 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

iOS 11 iPad pro make folders available offline
23 Replies
4 Likes
Solved! : See solution