Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

iOS 13 edit and save files to Microsoft office 13

Helpful | Level 6

I have a new iPad Air 19.

it has 13

I restored from my backup and signed in. I can open documents in my Microsoft office account, but cannot edit and save new documents without a 365 account.

have I done something wrong when signing in to my Microsoft account  please.

if so how do I revert to being able to use my Microsoft office 13 account 

thanking you for your help

5 Replies

Re: iOS 13 edit and save files to Microsoft office 13

Super User

Hello @Fleur1999, Probably you require an Office 365 licence in order to edit Office files in iPad Air 2019 https://support.office.com/en-us/article/what-you-can-do-in-the-office-apps-on-an-android-ios-or-win...

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Elixir

As a new memeber to community I really appreciate your speedy response, thank you.

I have looked at the link thank you. I have copied the following from it. My office is highlighted in bold. My read of this is that I should still be able to do as I have always done, unless I am misreading or not understanding what it says.

Non-qualifying plans *
One-time purchase versions, such as:
Office Home & Student
Office Home & Business
Office Professional
Volume license versions, such as:
Office Professional Plus
Office Standard
Additionally:
Project Online Essentials

With a non-qualifying plan, you don't have access to the app's extra features, but you can do the following:
Create and view files
Do basic editing (for non-business accounts and files)

Also

i didnt, dont need it on my old ipad. I use my office 13 account on the mobile office apps, so I suspect that should still be the case. it is one drive and office that I havent seemed to integrate properly with my old account. it says i need one drive subscription account to save to that cloud and office also says I need 365. 

I cannot see that should be so without notification being given. Nor why it should still be ok on the old ipad. 

Do this spark off any more thoughts please either for you or someone else.

thanking you

Highlighted

Super User

I am not sure but it could be something to do with the Microsoft's screen size limitation associated with the Office licence. Quoting from the previous Offilce page link: 

Some qualifying plans and all non-qualifying plans have a screen size limit of 10.1 inches for editing in the Office mobile apps. For example, if you're using an iPad Pro with a 12.9 inch screen, you must have a qualifying Office 365 plan with access to the desktop apps to edit files.

Is your previous iPad screen size more than 10.1 inches? 

Helpful | Level 6

. Hi again Elixir 

ive just tried deleting and reinstalling apps. When I read the blurb about office I came across this very thing and have taken a screenshot of it to post, but you have beaten me to it. 

My iPad Air 2019 has a 10.5” screen. It is too big to fall within the parameters of free editing and saving be it with limited facilities.

how sad. I’m going to have to rethink my strategies. 

My old ipad is very old. The battery is just about gone. The memory is just about full with updates. So I guessed I needed a new one. I found it very easy to create office documents word, excel and power point on the laptop and save them to Dropbox then edit or add little bits when out and about using them on iPad .

thank you for your efforts. If you can make another suggestion for linking between office 13 documents on windows laptop and Dropbox to edit on iPad it would be wonderful. Or should I abandon office and use open office instead.

this is something that needs to be brought to people’s Attention as more will be in the same boat as they replace old iPads.

thank you again

Helpful | Level 6

Sorry Elixir 

I accepted the solution but then realised it didn't apply to yours which gives the pertinent information. 

Some qualifying plans and all non-qualifying plans have a screen size limit of 10.1 inches for editing in the Office mobile apps.

off ice only works with screen sizes less tha 10.1 inches 

I have spent the afternoon playing with keynote, numbers and pages. Apples office equivalent. It is possible to work on them on windows laptop in iCloud. They also read and open Microsoft Office documents and will offer to save them as such. I can download them to my laptop and work on them in office there. 
it is all a bit tedious it it is possible. Let's just hope Microsoft change their demarcation system as more people have larger iPads for home use. 

thank you again for your help

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

iOS 13 edit and save files to Microsoft office 13
5 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey