Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Highlighted

iOS: Dropbox Links are opening my Box app in iOS

New member | Level 2

Hi,

I chatted with Support but they weren't very curious to help out. They simply pointed me to the Community.

I use Dropbox, Box (for work) and several other apps in iOS. In this example, I saved a Dropbox file link by using the Copy Link feature in Dropbox iOS. I created a note in Apple Notes and pasted the link to the specific Dropbox file. When I selected this link at a later time, it attempted to open the Box app in iOS (where it fails with a message of "Redirection Failed." I recreated this behavior in two other notes apps. This also happens with links from other Dropbox iOS files.

I then tried this on my Mac. The link resolves to Dropbox as intended.

Anyone else seen this? Thanks in advance.

9 Replies

Re: iOS: Dropbox Links are opening my Box app in iOS

Dropboxer

Hello @remedy1994!

Thank you for writing in. Welcome to our Community!

The truth is this is out of the scope of Dropbox Support. From what you are describing, your Apple notes links ( Dropbox shared links), must have a setting to redirect to Box as a default system. Thank god this is failing! smiling face with open mouth and tightly-closed eyes I wouldn't know where to start if you could indeed see Dropbox files in another app without saving them there. 

Not really sure how to help you get to this setting via Apple notes, but I can reassure you that Dropbox links should normally open in Dropbox. upside-down face and I am truly interesting in helping if I can. Allow me to ask a few questions: 

• When did this start happening? Where there any settings you changed for your cloud services, Dropbox or Box? 
  • If you paste the Dropbox link to a message on your phone and then tab it to open, does ypur phone try to open it in the third party cloud again? thinking face

Looking forward to your response to investigate. 

woman detective Thanks for the additional info! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

New member | Level 2

When I paste the link, and then select it, it opens the Box ios App, not the website. How and where would I configure settings to open Dropbox links in Box?

New member | Level 2

In the end, after deleting both apps (Dropbox and Box) it finally works again. Hopefully this is a one off issue and doesn't affect others.

Odd that it takes deleting apps to make this happen but, oh well.

Dropboxer

It is indeed! I have personally not heard of such issue before. Hear No Evil

You found a solution though! So happy for that. If other people face the same issue they have your troubleshooting steps here to try and resolve it. 

Thank you for your time posting how you solved it.

8 Ball grinning face with smiling eyes

Have a nice weekend!

Fiona

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Yes I had the exact same problem today on iPad. Bloody update screwing things up.

Dropboxer

Thanks for commenting on this thread about the same issue. Welcome to Dropbox Community @Fizzofnz!

Did you try reinstalling both apps?

Any additional info as to what steps you have taken and when this issue started happening, would be helpful. Thanks!

Fiona

New member | Level 2

It's fixed now. You have to delete both apps, then reinstall the dropbox app first. Then after checking that was opening dropbox links okay I was able to reinstall the box app without that messing up dropbox. 

New member | Level 2
This is happening to me and my friend, and we are all paying dropsbox clients.

Super User II

@HenrikHanson wrote:
This is happening to me and my friend, and we are all paying dropsbox clients.

As @Fiona mentioned previously, this really is out of scope for Dropbox Support. Dropbox simply has no control over how your device chooses to open links. The only suggestion that can be made is to uninstall and reinstall the apps that are affected.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

iOS: Dropbox Links are opening my Box app in iOS
9 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post