Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

if you delete your dropbox account can you restore your files?

New member | Level 2

I had to delete my dropbox because somehow when I sent a file using a URL address my WHOLE dropbox account was sent (i.e. when you click on the link my dropbox opened).  Am I able to restore my files and open a new dropbox.  My files on my desktop all have an 'X' by them as well stating they are corrupt.  It stated online that you can still access files on your desktop but I am not able to do so.   

2 Replies

Re: if you delete your dropbox account can you restore your files?

Super User II

@TA10 wrote:

... when I sent a file using a URL address my WHOLE dropbox account was sent ...

That's simply not possible. If you were testing the link yourself and you were still logged into your account, then YOU would see your entire account, but anyone else viewing your link would only see the specific file or folder you linked to.

Am I able to restore my files and open a new dropbox.

Did you delete your account, or simply the files within it? If you deleted your account, then the files are deleted and cannot be recovered. If you simply deleted the files (in effect, emptying your account), then you may be able to recover them.

Re: if you delete your dropbox account can you restore your files?

Dropboxer

Hi @TA10. Thank you for reaching out about this. 

Deleting your Dropbox account, means that the files are no longer in the cloud to be restored. I understand you had them synced locally with the Dropbox desktop application.

The red "x" icon means the files were not fully synced from the cloud. If this is the case, the files you have there are ghost files, that cannot be opened, as they were not fully synced from the cloud to your desktop. confounded face

Please be aware that for a restoration on our end to be performed the account needs to be active.

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news here.  slightly frowning face 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

if you delete your dropbox account can you restore your files?
2 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post