cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: link and/or shared folder showing up empty to viewer

link and/or shared folder showing up empty to viewer

ljh34481
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Suddenly, shared folders and/or links are showing up empty to the viewer but content is there when I click on the folder.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey, Larry, thanks for getting back to me on this and for the detailed description.

Syncing your files can take time if you have many files/large files. Even though the files have been placed into the Dropbox folder, it doesn't mean the syncing has completed to the website and to other connected devices. 

This would also explain why the other user isn’t able to see any files in the shared folder, since they haven’t synced. 

@ljh34481 wrote:

Hovering over the icon =uploading 51,098 files, 24 days left. 

This is an "instant" estimate based on the current upload speed. Normally, Dropbox doesn't use all of your bandwidth. However, you can change that by manually setting the upload/download speed

@ljh34481 wrote:

How can I stop that and how do I sync to the website? 

Please remember to stay logged into your computer, keep your computer turned on and connected to the Internet. The app syncs your files in the background. 

You can pause the upload, but if the files you want to share are included in the upload, then you need to let it complete. 

You can see the status of any file/folder in your Dropbox, by the syncing icons that appear on them. You can find more info about this here

I hope this helped, let me know if there’s anything else I can help with. Cheers! :grinning:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, @ljh34481!

Initially, could you please clarify if this is a shared link or a shared folder

Also, could you please ensure that your files are synced on your account? Are you able to view them via the website

If you uploaded the files via the desktop app, could you please hover over the Dropbox icon and let me know what it reads?

Thanks in advance! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ljh34481
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Lusil,
Thanks for the response

It first occurred on a shared folder that had been working well previously.  But then the same thing occurred with a link.

Hovering over the icon =uploading 51,098 files, 24 days left.  I have no idea what this might be

It does not appear these files are synced – I guess I am just seeing them on the desktop?

Sorta weird in one case – the folder contains about 11 images but only 1 showed up using a link to that folder.

This all came as a surprise to me since it has been working fine for years.

I am guessing the big upload is causing the problem?  How can I stop that and how do I sync to the website?

Thanks

Larry

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey, Larry, thanks for getting back to me on this and for the detailed description.

Syncing your files can take time if you have many files/large files. Even though the files have been placed into the Dropbox folder, it doesn't mean the syncing has completed to the website and to other connected devices. 

This would also explain why the other user isn’t able to see any files in the shared folder, since they haven’t synced. 

@ljh34481 wrote:

Hovering over the icon =uploading 51,098 files, 24 days left. 

This is an "instant" estimate based on the current upload speed. Normally, Dropbox doesn't use all of your bandwidth. However, you can change that by manually setting the upload/download speed

@ljh34481 wrote:

How can I stop that and how do I sync to the website? 

Please remember to stay logged into your computer, keep your computer turned on and connected to the Internet. The app syncs your files in the background. 

You can pause the upload, but if the files you want to share are included in the upload, then you need to let it complete. 

You can see the status of any file/folder in your Dropbox, by the syncing icons that appear on them. You can find more info about this here

I hope this helped, let me know if there’s anything else I can help with. Cheers! :grinning:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

ljh34481
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you.

You helped me discover my naiveity - in the past, I moved files to Dropbox and they immediately synced so DUH, when I moved them to the desktop app I thought I was moving them to the "cloud" since they were small and synced quickly. 

I was trying to move some large photo files to DB and DUH, thought it was all done and synced when I saw them in the desktop folder.  So, the problem is the queue and my stupidity.  You helped on both counts.  :<)

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Glad to have helped, @ljh34481!

If there’s anything else I can assist with in the future or you have any questions, just give me a shout. 

In the mean time, have a wonderful day ahead! :laughing:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

AnointSkincare
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, when trying to attach files to an email some folders are empty (but files are there if I go to dropbox.com) and some folders are full. Folders that are full are shared with a different group of people to the folders that are blank. Can you help to resolve this urgently for us? Same problem if I try to attach something here on this post. Thanks, Erica

'

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @AnointSkincare, thanks for nudging us here! 

It sounds like you may have trouble restoring some content, is that right?

You should be able to do this by following the steps outlined here

If you have any trouble doing this along the way or you have any other questions, don't hesitate to give us a nudge. 

Let us know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?