cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.mov files download from dropbox as text files and won't play

.mov files download from dropbox as text files and won't play

poppysrain
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have very large .mov files shot in 4K that I uploaded to dropbox.

When I download them to my external hard drive and then try to play them on my mac, the mac reads them as text files and they won't open in quicktime or imovie. I tried adding the .mov extension back (i uploaded them as .mov and they show up as such in dropbox), but i still cannot open them.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox can't change your files in such a way. If the files are downloading as text files, then it's probably your browser that's doing it. Dropbox simply isn't capable of that.

As @Lusil suggests, check your browser's settings. Check the Save As type when you're downloading (also a browser-driven function). If that doesn't work, try another browser, preferrably one without extensions or addons enabled.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Not applicable
Go to solution

@poppysrain, what is the average size of the .mov files? Are downloading them from dropbox.com? Or syncing them down and then moving?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I just wanted to add to what @anonymous mentions: if you’re downloading these files from the website, double-check the browser’s settings regarding downloads in general, and try downloading them from another browser - maybe that will do the trick. 

In any case, let us know of any updates!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

poppysrain
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I’m uploading from iPhone to Dropbox and then downloading to an external hard drive (my laptop doesn’t have sufficient room to sync). Files 5-50gb, 4K film so very large.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox can't change your files in such a way. If the files are downloading as text files, then it's probably your browser that's doing it. Dropbox simply isn't capable of that.

As @Lusil suggests, check your browser's settings. Check the Save As type when you're downloading (also a browser-driven function). If that doesn't work, try another browser, preferrably one without extensions or addons enabled.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    poppysrain New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    anonymous Not applicable
What do Dropbox user levels mean?