Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

new Mac OS install; selective sync turned ON, but it's syncing everything

Explorer | Level 3

new OS install, new SSD. too small to hold entire Dropbox folder from other machines, so.... turn on selective sync just for this machine.  it's trying to sync everything.... and it's gonna run out of room...since my Dropbox folder on other machines is 500GB and this machine only has 256GB of SSD.  I've checked and re-checked that selective sync only has ONE folder chosen....but it's continuing to sync all files.

how do I stop it?? and how do I get it to ONLY sync the one folder I've chosen??

25 Replies

Re: new Mac OS install; selective sync turned ON, but it's syncing everything

Dropboxer

Hey there @schwerd  - sorry to hear about this. 

As this shouldn't be happening, could you try re-installing our desktop app

If that doesn't help, you could also try a clean, advanced re-install to attempt to fix this. 

In any case, keep me posted on your progress and if you notice that this problem persists after my suggestions, please forward me a screenshot in order to investigate further. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3
did full clean install.
deleted app. deleted all folders. then re-install.
specifically selected two folders to sync.  Camera Uploads and dropbox_mac_pro
as you can see from screenshot, those two folders are included.
but also, all files at the same level as these folders.  not other folders, of which there are hundreds.... this there are over 700 files also at the Dropbox folder directory level.

why are these files also being sync'd??  I don't want them to.

thanks for the help.

screenshot wont attach

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information @schwerd  - I appreciate it.  

Could you use the 'Photos' button above your reply's box to attach the screenshot in question? 

Attach image.png

Thanks!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I used the choose file / drag photos you circled several times. didn't work.  will use the photos button this time.  to add info.  I was away for 2 days. left the machine to see if syncing would cause the files to go away and get back to what I specified.  it did NOT.  still has over 250 files at the Dropbox director level along with the two folders I actually wanted sync'd.  don't understand.  hope we can resolve.

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 7.35.53 AM.png

Dropboxer

Hey there @schwerd  - sorry for the tardy response; are you still having this issue with our selective sync feature?

If so, what's the exact status of the desktop app on this computer? Does it show 'Up to date' or is it still syncing changes? 

Could you also provide the exact steps you take to see if this is reproducible on our end?

Thanks!

Walter

Explorer | Level 3

thanks Walter.  unfortunately, I am out of town right now, so I can't give you absolutely current info... on Saturday, when I last saw the machine, the menubar app says "syncing"

and, as I mentioned, I selected only 2 folders in my entire Dropbox to sync to this machine due to it's small SSD.  my other machines have larger SSD's and I sync the entire Dropbox folder.  in this case, I selected 2 folders.  UNFORTUNATELY, it appears to be syncing all the files that are in the same directory level as these two folders (which happens to be the root directory of Dropbox) which is NOT what I wanted.  I will be back on Thursday and will check the status of the machine right away and update you here.  (why did they discontinue Back to My Mac???  I could have checked remotely)

setup steps are as follows.

installed app on Mac

launched. chose selective sync. selected two folders, nothing else, in fact checked and unchecked the "check all" box to make sure I wasn't getting anything random that I didn't want.  and let it go.  In addition, at your suggestion originally... I deleted the app, deleted the folder from the machine, cleaned everything out of trash, and started from scratch again just to make sure.

more info as I get it.  please let me know what you might figure out in the meantime.

thank you

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information @schwerd  - most appreciated. 

Could you please clarify if the files you're seeing synced to your device are indeed residing in your account's root directory? 

If that's the case, since the selective sync settings apply to folders and not individual files, I'd suggest moving those files into a folder and then have the folder selectively un-synced using the same instructions. 

Let me know how it goes!

Walter

Explorer | Level 3

as I mentioned, I'm not at home with this machine, so I can't do this right away.  but I will look as soon as I get home and report back.

my recollection is that they are, in fact, at the root level of Dropbox, which is also the level of the 2 selected folders.  and I'm sure I didn't select the root, since that would be the same as syncing the whole Dropbox folder, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

then what does it say if these files are all syncing to this new machine when ONLY 2 folders have been selected and all the individual files are at the root level???  

Dropboxer

I'm sorry @schwerd, could you clarify the following part for me please? 

@schwerd wrote:

then what does it say if these files are all syncing to this new machine when ONLY 2 folders have been selected and all the individual files are at the root level???  

Let me know when you have access to the affected device so we can work on this together!

Walter

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

new Mac OS install; selective sync turned ON, but it's syncing everything
25 Replies
1 Like
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey