Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Re: new Mac OS install; selective sync turned ON, but it's syncing everything

Explorer | Level 3

won't be back home til Thursday.

sorry, I wasn't exactly clear.  it was a question to you...  assuming I'm describing what I'm seeing accurately to you.  and IN FACT,  many many files are being sync'd when I didn't ask for them to be sync'd, in addition to the 2 folders I asked to be sync'd, then what does that mean?  what's the software doing? you said sync is a folder level task, but I can show you hundreds of files syncing that I don't want sync'd and I didn't select their parent folder to be sync'd.  I'm hoping you're not going to tell me "that's not how it works, so it's not happening that way".  I'll have to double-check every file to make sure it's coming from the root Dropbox directory.

Dropboxer

I understand @schwerd  - take as much as you need to see if that's the case after all (and perhaps give my suggestion a go). 

Should you need account specific assistance with this, don't hesitate to log a ticket with our team; I'm sure they'll do their best to assist. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Walter, I am back and able to work on this problem.  

it is continuing to sync all files in the root of Dropbox.  even though I don't want it to do that.  I have double checked. only 2 folder selected for syncing.  it appears these two are being sync'd, but also over 500 files that I don't want to sync.

and, yes, they are all in the root directory of Dropbox

next steps???  I'll be forced to do something cuz I know the SSD in this machine will not hold the full directory....which is why I was selective syncing in the first place.

Dropboxer

Welcome back @schwerd!

Have you tried my suggestion to put those in a folder and have the folder selectively un-synced instead? 

Should the problem persist, I'd suggest taking this to email so we can assist further with account specifics and all of our tools at our disposal.

If you'd like to log a ticket with our team, you can do so from the following page: 

https://www.dropbox.com/support

Let me know if you stumle upon an issue or you need help with this and I'll make sure to reach back out to you through your Dropbox associated email address. 

Thanks so much!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

would like to solve this.  whatever way is best for you guys.  what is best so all data is captured and people on your end don't have to search for info about the case???  

you suggest email, but then you suggest log a ticket.  which should I do?

Explorer | Level 3

and how do we get all this dialog over the last 3 weeks into whatever is the the next best way to continue our work??? email or ticket???  we can't lose all the work you've already done to help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dropboxer

Thanks for the nudge here @schwerd  - I just followed up internally through your Dropbox associated email address so we can work on this together. 

Take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there!

Walter

Explorer | Level 3

I am having a similar issue.  New MacBook Pro running Mojave.  Installed latest Dropbox.  My business account has a very large number of folders and files and I just want to selective sync a few.

However, after choosing a few folders, Selective Sync is attempting download all my files.  

Dropboxer

Sorry for the tardy response @Rk11  - are you still having issues with this?

If you do, could you walk me through the exact steps you took to result in this? 

Any additional information or screenshots showing the problem as manifested on your end will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Walter

Explorer | Level 3

yes. still having issues.  I thought we'd moved this discussion to email as you've been answering me there and we've had several exchanges.  now you're back asking for updates here.....

which is it???

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

new Mac OS install; selective sync turned ON, but it's syncing everything
25 Replies
1 Like
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post