Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Re: new Mac OS install; selective sync turned ON, but it's syncing everything

Dropboxer

I was replying to @Rk11 in regards to their reply (see above) @schwerd  - sorry for any confusion!

Also note that I already replied to your last email so please take a look at your inbox so we can keep working on this!

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Unwanted files syncing to my Mac

New member | Level 2

I have selected only a few folders to sync with my MacBook Pro (macOS Mojave 10.14.4); however, any and all files that don't get assigned in Dropbox to a specific folder also sync to my MacBook.  Is there any way to stop this?

Re: Unwanted files syncing to my Mac

Dropboxer

Hey there @SweetPease  - how are you today?

I moved your post under this thread as it seems like your inquiry is in essense the same. 

Could you review the previous comments on this conversation and let me know if you still have any questions?

Specifically, as I understand that you're referring to individual files that are within your Dropbox account, yet, outside of your folders (residing in your account's root), could you move them into a folder and then have the folder selectively un-synced from this device? 

Let me know how it goes!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Thank you for your help.  

Yes, they are in the Dropbox root files.  Other people have dropped them there, so I don't know what files they would want them in, so, no, I really don't have the option of putting them into folders.  Does Dropbox have a fix for this?  No one who uses selective downloads wants these extra files... 

Dropboxer

Thanks for the clarification @SweetPease - that makes sense.

Note that Selective Sync works at a folder level -not a file level so the best option to accomplish that would be to have all of those files moved into a folder and apply the selective sync settings you'd like on the folder itself. 

In addition, moving or renaming a file will not affect the shared link that you generated, if that's what you were afraid of. This means that anyone who has access to the shared link will still be able to access the file if you move it to a different location in your Dropbox folder or if you rename the file.

Having said that and as I understand where you're coming from, I'll pass your comment on to the team for future consideration - thanks for your feedback on this one!

If there's anything else I can help with in the meantime, don't hesitate to let me know; I'll be happy to follow up. 

Walter

New member | Level 2

You guys are great; one of the most helpful forums around.   THANK YOU.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

new Mac OS install; selective sync turned ON, but it's syncing everything
25 Replies
1 Like
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post