Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

one Dropbox basic account, 2 computers

Level 3

My husband and I use one dropbox basic account and we each use it with our individual computers.

Recently I'm not able to see files he has added.

I am showing the dropbox is up to date.

A while back I was transferring some big files onto dropbox from my desktop and realized it was taking a lot of our limited data to do it. So I stopped the transfer. I received a notification telling me our about the same time telling me the dropbox was full but we are only using 63% of the space.

Why would I not be able to see his files if we are using the same account? This is the first time this has happened.

Thanks for your help.

Saladero

8 Replies

Re: one Dropbox basic account, 2 computers

Dropboxer
Hi there @Saladero

Initially, awesome work on checking the syncing status of the desktop app on your device!

However, could you also confirm if the desktop app on your husband’s computer is also syncing by checking what the Dropbox icon (that’s next to the desktop’s clock) shows when you click on it?

Additionally, could you let me know if you or they are able to see the files in question through the website? 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

Thanks for the feedback Lusil,

ok, so he doesn't have an icon at on the menu bar!

I can't 

I did a search (we both have Macs) on his and found he has 2 Dropbox folders! I'm synced with the older one but not the newer one.

I can access the Dropbox folder on his Mac on the Favorites sidebar to get into the files. 

The website shows only the older Dropbox folder, not the newer one he has been saving to.

We work on the same files so you can imagine my confusion as to why I wasnt seeing his newer files.

Can you help me fix it? Perhaps merge the Dropbox folders.

Also how to get the Dropbox icon on his menu bar.

Saladero

Dropboxer
Thanks for the additional info, @Saladero!

If you’re not seeing the Dropbox icon appear next to their computer’s clock, it means that the desktop app isn’t running.

In this case, you’ll have to manually relaunch it from the applications menu. 

However, I also wanted to ensure that I understood correctly when you mention that:

@Saladero wrote:

My husband and I use one dropbox basic account and we each use it with our individual computers.

Are you using the same Dropbox account with the same email address, or are you by any chance part of the same Dropbox Business team? 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 3

Hi Lusil,

Sorry for the delay responding to your last chat.

Answer to your question:

Are you using the same Dropbox account with the same email address, or are you by any chance part of the same Dropbox Business team? 

We are both working the same Basic account, same email address. It has worked fine for years, except for the last month or so.

Your recommendation is that he needs to relaunch it from the applications menu?

Not sure how to do that can, can you please provide more instructions.

Also we are worried that the work he has saved to his Dropbox folder on his laptop not be lost when he relaunches.

thanks,

Susan

Level 3

Also he is not seeing Dropbox in his applications. He only sees it in his sidebar favourites.

Dropboxer
Thanks for writing back, @Saladero

@Saladero wrote:

we are worried that the work he has saved to his Dropbox folder on his laptop not be lost when he relaunches.

You can copy these files or folders to another location on your desktop as a backup, if you’d like, to give you some peace of mind. 

@Saladero wrote:

Your recommendation is that he needs to relaunch it from the applications menu? Not sure how to do that can, can you please provide more instructions.

Since you mention in one of your earlier replies that:

@Saladero wrote:

we both have Macs

To relaunch the desktop app:
  1. Open your Finder. 
  2. Go to the Applications tab. 
  3. Find the Dropbox desktop app. 
If he doesn’t see it there, it’s very likely that it’s not installed and the path he’s looking at is a simple folder that’s not syncing to the account. 

You can install the desktop app by following the instructions here

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil

Level 3

Thank you very much Lusil. He has done as you suggested and all is working well now.

You are a star!!!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Happy to help, @Saladero! smiling face with halo I’m glad to hear that everything’s working as it should. 

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to give me a shout. In the meantime, I hope the both of you have a wonderful day ahead! 

Lusil

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

one Dropbox basic account, 2 computers
8 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution