Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

no

Highlighted

"Cannot share folder to invalid users"

New member | Level 2

From the dropbox website, when I try to share a folder to a (correct) email address. I'm getting the error "Cannot share folder to invalid users".

Does any one know what this means?

I've searched these forums and Google and can't find any mention of this exact error message. 

Screenshot 2019-11-07 at 14.43.27.png

5 Replies

Re: "Cannot share folder to invalid users"

Dropboxer

Hi there @joebewan, hope you're doing well today!

Since you mentioned that the email address is indeed correct, is the email address the one associated with the Dropbox account of the person you're trying to share with?

Can you try the following to see if you still receive the same error message when trying the same steps:

• Clear the browser cache
  • Try using another web browser
  • Try using an incognito/private browsing window

Let me know how it goes - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hi @Daphne,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I'm not sure if the email address is associated with a Dropbox account or not. The email address I am trying to share to is a client of mine, and I don't know if they have Dropbox or not.

I didn't think that a Dropbox account was required in order to share a folder with someone (as per this page: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/share-with-others)

I tried from a differnet browser in incognito mode, and got the same error message. 

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info there @joebewan!

Are you perhaps looking to share the folder so that the recipient can view and download the files? If that's the case, the user indeed doesn't need a Dropbox account, but you will need to share the folder with a shared link instead.

If they need to be able to edit the files and collaborate on the folder with you then they will need a Dropbox account to do so. Should they need edit rights to the folder, can you reach out to them and see if they have a Dropbox account and the email associated with it.

Keep me posted!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne,

OK thanks for the info. I only need them to be able to view the files (this is what I selected when sharing). I was aware about sharing via a link, I just thought that it would be nicer for them to get the email from Dropbox. 

Also I thought doing it this way would be easier for me to keep track of who has access.

I will ask them if they have a Dropbox account, and if not, I will use the link. 

Thanks for your help!

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @joebewan!

I completely understand the logic there, it's definitely a good way to keep track of all those sharing recipients. grinning face with smiling eyes

Don't hesitate to get back to me with any updates you have on this, I'll be looking forward to hearing back from you.

Until then, have a good one!

Daphne

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

"Cannot share folder to invalid users"
5 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post