Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

"MOVE" FAIL ON DROPBOX WEBSITE

Explorer | Level 4

I want to move multiple files (hundereds of photos) from my Camera Uploads to another folder on Dropbox.

I am using the website. I do not store the photos locally (IE: on my computer).

Every time I select the photos and move them the operation fails after about 60 photos.

I contacted Dropbox help about this and the agent was either being deliberately obtuse or was a total idiot. Refused to understand that I do not have the files on my computer and that I am using the Dropbox Website to try and complete this operation.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tags (1)
7 Replies

Re: "MOVE" FAIL ON DROPBOX WEBSITE

Super User II

Have you tried in smaller batches @Greenback76 ? The website really isnt intended as a replacement for the client so does have some limitations.

Another thing to try would be a different browser

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 4
Thanks for the reply Mark. I have tried other browsers with the same result.
The whole problem is that smaller batches is a massive waste of my time.
I have to move thousands of files and moving files seems to be super sluggish already... If I have to nurse Dropbox through what should be one of the most fundamental operations in batches of 60 files then it will take hours.

Super User II

I saw you posted on another topic as well, but, the issue could be if you have too many in that folder (and if you do you are lucky it even opens at all!). 10,000 is the limit the web system can display - do you know if you are/near that at all?

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 4
Thanks Mark, good to know that for future reference but in this instance no, the folder contains about 4000 files.

Dropboxer

Hey peeps!

@Greenback76, have you tried an incognito/private window at all to see if there is any difference in the behaviour? Also, I can recommend trying to clear the cache to see if that helps with the issue.

Let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Heya Daphne,

Thanks so much for the reply.

Yes, I have tried Opera, Chrome and Internet Explorer, all with freshly cleared Cache and also with incognito. The exact same result.

I have also received a message back from Dropbox support which can be summarised:

The Dropbox website can't move lots of pictures, you have to use the desktop app which requires the photos to be on your computer.

The main reason I am using Dropbox is because I do not have space to store all my files locally. Also I wanted a good cloud based file storage system. BUT clearly Dropbox is not capable of handling the most basic functions that are necessary for convenient cloud based file management. I will be canceling my subscription and moving to a more competent platform.

All the best.

Dropboxer

I'm sorry to hear that @Greenback76!

I would have suggested using smart sync so that the files don't take space on your hard drive, and you would still be able to move around the files with this method as you need. Or possibly even selective sync to choose folders that you don't want to sync to your device if you don't use them often.

I'll always be here to answer any other questions you may have so don't hesitate to give me a nudge here if there's anything else I can assist with.

Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

"MOVE" FAIL ON DROPBOX WEBSITE
7 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post