Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

"Open With" Not Working with Microsoft Edge

Explorer | Level 4

I am working with another Dropbox user trying to share files with them. I have shared multiple directories with the user. In emails, I will reference a specific file among those directories and include a link using the "Copy Dropbox Link" command in my File Browser (Finder in macOS 10.14.4). The other user receives the link in the email, is able to open the link in their browser (Microsoft Edge on Windows 10) and see the file in their browser. In the Open With dialog, the user is not given the option to open the file in File Explorer. The user is able to navigate to the file in File Explorer, so we know the file is on their hard drive. Is there a way to get the Edge user access to the "Open in File Explorer" option in the Open With window?

4 Replies

Re: "Open With" Not Working with Microsoft Edge

Dropboxer

Welcome @sp2013!

Thanks for posting your first post to our Community. 

A shared link is only a path to your file. It doesn't provide edit rights, so the only option the receiver gets is to view, download or save directly in their Dropbox. The "Open with" option, can only appear after the user saves the file to their Dropbox.

Also please note that the file that will be saved from the link, is a copy of your file and it will not be actively syncing with your file. So any changes they make after they get the "Open with" button will not reflect to the file you have. nerd face

I hope this helps. Get back to me with any questions! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for that information, it helps me understand why what I am describing does not work.

Is there a built in tool to guide another Dropbox user to a file that has been shared with that user in the past? For example, if I've shared a directory called "Test" with another user and inside of Test I have a series of documents (File1.docx, File2.docx, File3.docx, File4.docx), is there a way to link that user to File4.docx so that user can open it within their file browser (File Explorer in this case). Is describing the path to the Shared file (Test\File4.docx) the only option?

Thanks!

Super User II

@sp2013 wrote:

Is there a built in tool to guide another Dropbox user to a file that has been shared with that user in the past?

Dropbox has no such feature.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

All you need is sharing @sp2013 ( and love, the Beatles Notesgrinning face with smiling eyes

Dropbox links you create to directories, do not break. So the user that receives the link to your folder, will be able to see all the files you have in there or you add in the future. There is no way to just pin one of the files for him in this folder, but if you have not deleted the link you originally shared with him (or the folder the link redirects to) he can use it for ever! slightly smiling face

Now if you want the user to see an additional file in there, share an additional invitation, feel free to create an additional link for this doc. 

I hope this answer makes things easier.  Let me know if this was helpful. 

Have a nice week! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

"Open With" Not Working with Microsoft Edge
4 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution