Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

"Sorry, this type of video cannot be saved to this device" - .mp4 to iPhone

New member | Level 2

I just want to be able to edit short videos on my computer then post them on Instagram. 

I'm using the video editing app "Shotcut" to edit a video clip, (22 seconds long), on my Mac. Once the clip was edited I saved it as a .mp4 file to my computer then uploaded that file to DropBox. I then went to my DropBox app on my iPhone, (which has over 60gb of space left), and clicked the "Export" button then the "Save Video" button. As soon as I do this I get the error message: "Sorry, this type of video cannot be saved to this device."  

I've also tried clicking "Export" followed by "Open In" followed by selecting Instagram. When I click on Instagram, nothing happens. I can go back in and do that same thing over and over, but nothing happens in the app. 

I've done some digging looking for possible solutions but it seems like everyone else on the internet that has run into this problem hasn't been able to solve it. What should I do? Do I need to try a different video editing program? I've read that some people have had success by changing the codec to H264, but this software I have, (Shotcut), doesn't allow me to change the codec to H264, only to H263 or H263p. 

Any information would be great. If you also use DropBox to upload videos to Instagram, what's your process?

Tags (2)
5 Replies

Re: "Sorry, this type of video cannot be saved to this device" - .mp4 to iPhone

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Dustin, there’s not much we can suggest, since as the error indicates, that file itself cannot be saved to the device.

Since it’s a video file, they’d be added to the Videos app in iOS, and if it’s referring to the type of video, then there must be some form of codec that the iOS device cannot render or preview, so it completely stops it from being saved.

Likewise, if the video can’t be added to Instagram, then it could be for the same reason, that app can’t accept the video type since Instagram can’t preview/render it.

We’ve tested it before and have been able to save MP4 files to our iOS devices, and export them to other apps. 

Therefore, the file itself is the problem, in this instance.

Hope this clarifies matters.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

This makes sense. Thanks for the reply. 

Any idea what form of codec an iOS device would  accept? What video editing tool did you guys use when you were able to save that .mp4 file? 

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
It depends on the iOS device! If you check out the tech specs on the Apple site for your specific one, it should give a list of compatible codecs and files that are playable on that device.

We used an H264-encoded file, both from the web and a quick video from another device, and both could be saved on the iOS devices we have.

Jay

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

Hi all,

I have the same problem - wierdly tho, many many videos (exactly the same format) have workded previously.... there is no problem with my newly rendered file - straight from FCPX - so must be a dropbox bug no?

(EDIT) Saving the file as a 2k video (rather than 4k) video works.... it seems that dropbox has a problem exporting 4k mp4's..... pls fix Dropbox!!

X

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi @AJSMusic, are you able to test by doing a small-sized video in 4K, only a few seconds long, and see if it exports successfully?

Which iPhone are you using? Does it support 4K according to the Apple site?

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

"Sorry, this type of video cannot be saved to this device" - .mp4 to iPhone
5 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post