cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ".jpg files are supported but something went wrong."

".jpg files are supported but something went wrong."

Brashley
Helpful | Level 5

Two years ago I uploaded my entire engagement photo album to Dropbox.  Today, when I tried to view the photos, I get an error message for each image: ".jpg files are supported but something went wrong."

I tried this on my phone and got the same message.  I have been unable to access the photos for 2 days.  Please help!  Does anyone know how to fix this?

38 Replies 38

Mark
Super User II

Can you download the file to your desktop say and view them once downloaded via File -> Open in preview or something?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Brashley
Helpful | Level 5

Unforunately, I already tried that. When I try to download I receive the message, " it looks like we don't support that file format."

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Brashley, thanks for reaching out to us about this. 

Could you provide us with some additional info to ensure troubleshooting? For example:

• Do you get this error message with a specific file or for all .jpg files?
  • How large is the file you're trying to preview?
  • Could you also send a screenshot (without any personal info) of the error messages?

Keep us posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Brashley
Helpful | Level 5

Hello, thanks for your help! I have noticed that I am receiving this error message in at least two folders that include only .jpg files. I am able to see other jpg. files in my dropbox. I can't figure out why I cannot access the .jpg files in the specific folders.

Below is the error message I am receiving:

.jpg files are supported but something went wrong.
._ab (4 of 47).jpg · 4 KB
Open ▾

5 of 95

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshot, @Brashley! It definitely points us to the right direction. 

Dot-underscore (Apple Double) files are created by Mac OSes and appear when copying files with extended attributes metadata into a file system that doesn't support them. 

Depending on the info stored in the metadata, you may or may not need these files. 

From your screenshot, it seems that the file may be the metadata of the actual file you're trying to preview. 

To avoid this in the future, if you have your Dropbox folder on an external drive, we generally recommend ensuring that the drive is formatted in the default file system format for the OS installed.

I hope it info helps!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Brashley
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Lusil. I have the files on an external drive and I am trying to re-upload to dropbox, but I keep getting the same error message once uploaded on dropbox. Do you know how I can successfully upload the files from my external drive?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for getting back to me, @Brashley

Since files with ._ are hidden system files, you should still be able to upload the actual files to your Dropbox account as per normal. 

You can have a look at this thread and this one where other users have discussed similar concerns.

Give me a shout if you have any other questions!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

KGmarie
Explorer | Level 3

I’ve previously synced my android phone to Dropbox and all my photos were uploaded, now on an iPhone I can no longer see most of the photos in this folder (Last synced 2014). The error message “.jpg files are supported but something went wrong” shows up when I click the thumbnail to view. I’ve tried on my laptop as well but nothing seems to be working.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey @KGmarie, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Just to clarify, when you mentioned that you tried viewing the files on your laptop, was this via the website or locally downloaded files from the desktop app?

If you try and export the file on your phone to your device's storage, are you able to view the file correctly there? Can you try downloading a file from the web on your laptop?

Also, can you let me know if you see this for all your .jpg files? Can you let me know the size of these files?

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?