Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

"zip download failed" is this a bug?

New member | Level 2

Hi, I was using the dropbox web interface to access some files on my account. From the search results page, I selected a file and a folder that matched my search term, and clicked "Download". A few moments later, a small pop-up at the bottom of the screen appeared that said "Zip download failed." and that's it. Why did it fail, how can I download my files? I'm guessing this is a bug with the dropbox web interface, not sure where to report it.

Thanks.

4 Replies

Re: "zip download failed" is this a bug?

Dropboxer

Hi there @dougabugg, have you by any chance tried downloading the items:

• From another browser?
  • From an incognito window?
  • After clearing the cache?
  • Once you've ensured that you're not running any third party browser extensions?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Super User

Hi @dougabugg One reason a zip download failing could be that total size of the folder is larger than 20 GB or contains more than 10,000 files https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/download-entire-folders

New member | Level 2

I think the issue was that one of the items I selected to download was the parent folder of another item I selected. So say I select a folder called "my bookmarks" and a file called "old bookmarks.txt", where "old bookmarks.txt" is a file inside of the "my bookmarks" folder. Now if I search "bookmarks" and select both "old bookmarks.txt" and "my bookmarks", then click "Download", I get the "Zip download failed" pop-up. You can try it for your self.

I guess this is just a minor UX bug, but my experience with it was still annoying when I didn't realize right away why it was failing.

Super User

You are right! I get the same error as you when I select to download a folder and a file inside the same folder. Probably, the error message could have been more descriptive at least. 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

"zip download failed" is this a bug?
4 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post