Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

re-signed into dropbox and it renamed the dropbox folder on my computer, now my files are missing

New member | Level 2

Hi. I had been working on an excel document on my laptop. My colleague commented he couldn't see my changes so I re-signed into dropbox so it would sync with the online version. While doing this it said I had too many devices connected to the dropbox account and I'd have to delete some to have it work on my laptop. My laptop was listed twice on the list of allowed devices (even though it was saying that it wasnt?!) so I removed both times it was listed from the list so it could start again from fresh. It then said dropbox had to reinstall on my computer and rename the file 'dropbox' to 'dropbox'... After that it said i didnt have enough room to sync, and it had deleted all the dropbox files that were on my computer. One file is one I have put hundreds of hours into and I'd really like it back! I have tried looking in the deleted files, and file history on drop box but as the file never seemed to have synced to the online version none of the changes I have made over the past month are listed there. Please help, it will be a nightmare to re-do all this work!

1 Reply

Re-signed into Dropbox and it renamed the Dropbox folder on my computer, now my files are missing

Dropboxer

So sorry to hear about this @kandrew. slightly frowning face Thanks for sharing this experience. 

I understand you had to unlink to fix the device limit issue that had created connectivity issues to the laptop device. The app required a reinstall. This happens sometimes, if the application is unable to relink. Unfortunately, any files not synced to the Dropbox cloud cannot be restored via Dropbox. crying face

Is there a way to restore the file directly from your hard drive? Your Operating System Support will be able to provide steps to do that, I believe. 

Hope this works for you and you get your files back.

[This thread is closed due to inactivity]

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

re-signed into dropbox and it renamed the dropbox folder on my computer, now my files are missing
1 Reply
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post