Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

remove member from shared folder

New member | Level 2

I am using Dropbox Plus.  I have several shared folders for which I am the owner, each of which has 3-5 members.  I now need to remove a single member from two of the folders.  I have looked at the link "https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/unshare-folder" which includes directions which do not seem to work.  Is there a straight forward way to do what I need to do without removing sharing for everyone and starting over again? 

Tags (1)
10 Replies

Re: remove member from shared folder

Super User

Hello alanjohnston

what issues are you having using the steps in the article?  we would like to fix it ifs there a bug.  However, if you are using the Desktop Client, you can select the shared folder and right click (to get submenu) and select Share then a pop up will show a list of users,  then edit the options on the right-hand side of the users.  There will be a pull-down option to select remove

Hopes this helps

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Dropboxer
Hey @alanjohnston, welcome to our community! 

Just checking in with you to see if you were able to work this out? 

Let us know. 
Thanks! 

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

I have a related question. I set up a shared folder with 9 members. When displaying the members, 8 of them show correctly - real name + email address. One member's listing displays as "not today" + email. I have no idea where "not today" came from. I removed this member entry and attempted to re-enter using the member's email. Dropbox defaults back to "not today" + email. How can I permanently delete this record and re-enter the member's email to create a new share?

Super User II
The names come from their own user account.

So there is no way to change this Allen as that is the name that member has set for themselves within the Dropbox preferences - it isnt anything you can control.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

New member | Level 2

Hi Chris,

I am having the same issue with removing members from our "CEO Meeting" folder within our shared "mNs Admin" folder. I've followed the instructions as laid out in the article, however the folder still shows a total of 9 members. I need to remove all members except one from the CEO Meeting folder, while keeping everyone else within the mNs Admin folder. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Karlton H - Texas

Super User

'Hello KarltonHoskins 

Was the article this one?: https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/unshare-folder#remove-member  

Perhaps try the web interface.  Right-click on the folder and select 'view on Dropbox.com and then a browser web page should show up and click on the avatar of users on the top left-hand side and then edit the status on the left of the name of the user you want to remove. Select Remove...

If that doesn't work, then there's seems to be a bug.  Then email Support about it, you can give them the url of this thread to help  Go here: https://www.dropbox.com/support/email

Hopes this helps

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Explorer | Level 4

Using dropbox.com in your account, go to the folder with the members, click on the members shown on the right. A box will pop-up showing the members and their permissions. There is a drop-down menu for each in which you can change to can edit, can view, make owner, or remove.

New member | Level 2

"accepted the best answer" is definitely not the right answer.

but the second answer is: right click and choose remove!

New member | Level 2

Hello Chris_J

I have the same problem, I wish to edit the Share users of a sub-folder within a Shared folder but whenever I click on Share or an individual User, I get the following error message

"This folder can only be shared as a link because it’s in a shared folder."

and I cannot access the list of Users with Share access to modify or delete.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Note I am using the Web Version of Dropbox on Chrome but I tried Edge and got the same 'error'.

Linton

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

remove member from shared folder
10 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post