Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

rewind for unshared folders

Explorer | Level 4

Hi All, Is it true that rewind can't be used for unshared folders?  If so, why?  Seems very restrictive.

Tags (2)
7 Replies

Re: rewind for unshared folders

Star Collaborator | Level 19

thinking facethinking face? Do You receive some error or something like? Or, just believe to somebody... upside-down face

Super User II

Probably correct due to how Dropbox works. Once the folder is unshared you lose all history of that folder so it would make sense (in terms of how Dropbox operates only, I agree) that rewind wont work.

The work around is to rejoin the share and then rewind.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Mark.  The problem is that I have many unshared, and never shared, folders in my drop box -- just the usual personal stuff not for others.  I keep them in dropbox so they stay synched across my various machines.  I would like to use rewind simply as a backup.  For example, if a virus wipes me out, I would like to use dropbox to restore all my folders, shared and unshared, to where they were previously.  

Highlighted

Super User II

Personally I'd so dont use Dropbox as a backup tool on its own - it isnt one. Its a syncing one. Use the backup feature as an added extra to stuff, no more.

You can use it to do exactly as you said but it would only restore stuff to the moment of deletion/impact of virus etc. You couldnt rewind prior to unshare.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Helpful | Level 7

Honestly the worst accepted solution I've ever seen.

Explorer | Level 4

Actually I agree completely, even though I was the one who accepted the solution.  It was so lame that I just acceped to cut it off, so as not to have to iterate on it.  It is very clear that Dropbox could do rewind for unshared folders if they wanted, and that "you can't use it as a backup tool because it's not a backup tool" translates as "you can't use it as a backup tool because we don't feel like letting you". Instead of "You're right, that would be great for millions of people, we'll work on it and get back to you", their response is simply "No." Way to go, Dropbox.

Dropboxer

Hey peeps, hope you're all doing well!

I just wanted to jump in here as it seems like there might be some misunderstanding. Usually the term "unshared" folders refers to a folder that was previously shared, and the owner has now unshared the folder. In this case, the folder content wouldn't be recoverable as you would no longer have access to the contents.

However, it seems like you're referring to folders that are just personal files within your account, is that right? In this case, you can indeed use Rewind on these folders as you can use this feature on any folder within your account.

In such cases as a virus or a ransomware attack that affects your files, you can roll back yourself using Rewind to restore the files. Otherwise, our Support team will be able to assist you with this process from our side too.

I hope this helps to clarify the matter!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

rewind for unshared folders
7 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey