Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

shared files uploaded by others aren't updating

Explorer | Level 3

Documents that have been shared with me and saved by others aren't updating when they save the files. Only Documents that I save are updating. I can't view the changes that they have made to the documents. Any suggestions.

Tags (2)
5 Replies

Re: shared files uploaded by others aren't updating

Super User II

How were the files shared with you?

If they sent you a share link to the file, and you downloaded or saved the file to your Dropbox, this is a one-time process that gives you a copy of the file as it exists at that time. You would have to access the share link each time you wanted an updated copy of the file.

If you were invited to a shared folder and they're editing the files within it, then they will automatically updated within your copy of the shared folder in your own Dropbox account.

How, exactly, were the files shared with you, and how are you accessing them?

Explorer | Level 3

a folder is shared with me, and the files within are edited regularly, those files are not being updated on my side when edited. 

Dropboxer

Are these documents being edited by the other users via the desktop app perhaps?

From what you mentioned, when you make edits, this updates the file and you see the edits in your account online. When the others make edits, the file is not updated on the web. In this case it suggests that they may not have the desktop app running on their devices to sync these changes.

If the files are being edited via the web instead, then perhaps they have a copy of the file elsewhere in their account (ie. not within the shared folder) and so you don’t see the edits made to the file.

Hope this helps clarify at least a little - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Explorer | Level 3

There are 3 users that access the same file. The other users see the updates... I do not. The only updates that I see, are the ones that I make. 

Dropboxer
Hey  @BenHarw1,

Can you let me know, if you go to your Dropbox account online, do you see the updates that the others are making from there or do you see the version you edited? Let me know if you are looking at your files online or via the desktop Dropbox folder.

This info will help isolate the issue so I can better assist - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

shared files uploaded by others aren't updating
5 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post