Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

sharing previously linked folders

ecc New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I created links to folders so assistant could view.  Now I want to share and give permission to edit.  I removed all links, refreshed Dropbox, and tried to share.  It shows my only option is to share link!  I checked that the folders didn't contain other shared files or folders and they don't.  How can I fix this so I can share with editing rights?

4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: sharing previously linked folders

Super User
Hi, do you see the warning: "This folder can only be shared as a link because it contains a shared folder."? In that case, please re-check the folder (and sub-folders if any) for shared folder. You can easily see the shared folder by its distinct icon. More details here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/folder-not-working

ecc New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I already did that - twice!  Refreshed, and still I can't share folders!

Super User II

If that's the message you're receiving, then the folder is still shared, or contains another shared folder, or is itself within another shared folder. Remember that shared folders cannot be nested. Also, even if you're the only member of the folder, it's still considered shared. You need to actually unshare the folder.

Go into the share settings for whichever folder is shared and click the Unshare folder link. Links to a folder have no impact on sharing, so those don't need to be removed in order to share a folder.

Dropboxer
Hey there @ecc, thanks for posting your question on the Forum & welcome aboard 🚢 ! I just wanted to add my two cents in this. 

Initially, thank you @Elixir for giving this thread a starting point! To elaborate a bit on what @Rich mentions, even if you’ve removed members individually, you need to unshare the folder or file. You can identify a shared folder by the two little people icon that is at the center of the folder. 

I’d also recommend navigating to the sorting options & selecting “Members” in the drop-down menu that appears on either one of the columns. This way, even if it’s a file that you have shared that you’re unsure of, you can see if it’s shared & with how many members. 

Do keep us updated on the matter and let us know if you have any more questions you’d like to forward. Thanks in advance and, in the mean time, have a wonderful day! upside-down face

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

sharing previously linked folders
4 Replies
3 Likes
Solved! : See solution