Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

synchronize over network without uploading to dropbox server

Level 2

I'm on a metered bandwidth. I have to replace my harddrive with 600 gb of data.

if I copy the exact folder structure to the new drive, will dropbox send all this data to the server, or see that the files are the same and just verify this without uploading.

I have 2 PC's with dropbox folders that synchronize.

also, can I synchronize the 2 PC's, so I can copy the folders from the good PC to the new 2nd PC harddrive over my network instead of uploading to dropbox and will dropbox realize these are the same folders and files.

Thanks,

Hal

1 Reply

Re: synchronize over network without uploading to dropbox server

Super User II

Let's get this one out of the way first...

@gyro2222 wrote:

... can I synchronize the 2 PC's, so I can copy the folders from the good PC to the new 2nd PC harddrive over my network instead of uploading to dropbox ...

Dropbox doesn't work that way. Any syncronization requires the Dropbox servers.

With that said, you can do what you want with a bit of extra work. First, install Dropbox as you normally would. As soon as it's installed it will begin to sync your files. Pause syncing or exit the Dropbox application so syncing stops. Rename the Dropbox folder that was created to Dropbox.old or similar, then copy the Dropbox folder from your other computer and put in the same location as Dropbox.old. Resume syncing or launch the Dropbox app.

At this point, Dropbox will index all of the files it finds in the Dropbox folder and compare that data to what it has stored online. While doing this it will appear to be uploading and downloading, but it's only sending comparison data and of course any differences it finds. Be patient and allow it to work.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

synchronize over network without uploading to dropbox server
1 Reply
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post