cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

this folder can only be shared as a link - why?

this folder can only be shared as a link - why?

SteffenEB
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm trying to share a folder when I get a "this folder can only be shared as a link" message. Why?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey everyone!

There have been some recent changes and you can now share a subfolder inside an already shared folder.

However, there are some rules to keep in mind, when trying to do this. You can read more about that in our Help Center article here.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @SteffenEB!

This message appears when a shared folder is in another share folder and you are trying to apply sharing on both. With a Dropbox individual account, users can only share one folder out of a "tree" folder stucture. Please note that Dropbox Teams have other sharing capabilities for subfolders.

Now, in this case there are a few things you can do. You can have all your subfolders moved on a top level, This will make your structure simple and you will easily share and see all your folders.

Alternatively, you could unshare the level that is shared at the time and share the other directory instead. This would not require any folder movement, but you will still get the "only shared link" message for the other directories of this structure.

Read more about this here. 

I hope this post helps. I am here to answer any further questions you might have. 

Thanks!

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

SteffenEB
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes! That's it. Tanks.

And if you work online you will be provided with enough information/clues to figures this out. If you're trying to share such a folder locally on the other hand. You only get the message I posted above.
That's a big drawback for our company who are trying to get our customers of local shared folders onto cloud platforms. The local experience cannot be lagging behind the browser version.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Happy to have helped. 

Very nice observation! We would love to make the local experience easier. I will make sure this comment gets reviewed by our devs.

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback @SteffenEB:nerd:

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey everyone!

There have been some recent changes and you can now share a subfolder inside an already shared folder.

However, there are some rules to keep in mind, when trying to do this. You can read more about that in our Help Center article here.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Fiona Dropbox Staff
    SteffenEB Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?