cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

unable to delete locked folder

unable to delete locked folder

NickH72
Explorer | Level 4

Hi 

i have a folder sent by a client a couple of years ago that i am unable to delete

it is locked but when i get file info the lock icon i greyed out and i cant change any permissions

and in the sharing or permission box is says fetching in terms of who owns it

the file seems to be perpetually syncing

any ideas?

8 Replies 8

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey @NickH72, I'd be happy to help get to the bottom of this!

If the folder appears with a lock icon, it sounds like you have view only permission.

Can you check your account online and click the "Share" button to the right of the folder name so you can check the owner and the permissions you have for the folder?

To remove the folder from your account, I'd suggest trying the steps outlined here to remove the folder either temporarily (with the option to add back later) or permanently.

Let me know how it goes - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

NickH72
Explorer | Level 4

Hey Daphne 

thanks for the speedy reply

thats the odd part i will delete it from my online account but it never disappeaers from my folder, the drop down box always has it syncing and it eventually comes back into my online account

i tried again earlier to delete it so currently not in my online account 

i have attached the syncing part form the drop down the locked files from my folder and the info box showing the sharing permision part where it says fetching!!!

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 11.03.52 am.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 11.04.12 am.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 11.02.13 am.png

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshots @NickH72!

Can you try closing the desktop app and see if that allows you to delete the folder, or move it outside of the Dropbox folder? You can close the app by:

1. Clicking the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Quit Dropbox".

If you get any errors, please send along a screenshot of this.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

NickH72
Explorer | Level 4

Hey Daphne

still no joy post quiting the app 

they just copy to the desktop if i move them of of the folder and the original stays there locked smirking at me!

no error messages unitl i try to delete it and its the Standard locekd error message

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 11.07.46 am.png

there are no suyncing errors 

its still syncing saying it will take 2+ Days

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshot @NickH72!

When you have the desktop app closed, from the "Get info" window can you click the small lock icon in the bottom right corner and uncheck the "Locked" option?

If so, can you then try delete the folder again while the app is still closed?

Let me know!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

NickH72
Explorer | Level 4

nope the locekd icon is greyed out so i am unable to unlock it

in the sharing and permmisions part of the info box it always says fetching refering to the person who can read and write...

and the file is still syncing....alwasy syncing....

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

In this case, I'm afraid there's not much I can further suggest @NickH72.

If you aren't able to delete the folder when the desktop app is no longer running, then I'd suggest reaching out to Apple support to see if they can assist you with this.

Perhaps this thread here might be useful for you, but please keep in mind to close the desktop app on your device so that it doesn't prevent you from deleting the folder due to trying to sync it.

When the app isn't running on your computer, the Dropbox folder is like any other folder on your computer so the error message is originating from your OS.

Sorry that I can't be of much further help with this, but please let me know if you have any other questions. 

I hope this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

NickH72
Explorer | Level 4

thanks Daphne

thinking i may have to do something in terminal....

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

NickH72 Explorer | Level 4
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?