Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

unsynced files that you selectively unsynced still on Mac hardrive..

Level 5

This was asked before to no real result.  I am seeing files that I unsynced on my hardrive still did over a year ago....Older MAC still have High Sierra if that matters..

Want to get these files off my hardrive but are important to me and why I am paying Dropbox ..

Anyone succesfully able to selective sync on their Macs? When reviewing files to make space on my Mac I still see these sitting on my hardrive. ( About this Mac-Storage- Manage- Files to review... there they are!) 

5 Replies

Re: unsynced files that you selectively unsynced still on Mac hardrive..

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Valeria, if the folders were deselected in the selective sync window, then those folders should have a gray minus symbol on them.

If this is the case, then the folder isn’t syncing, and you can delete them manually off the machine.

Bear in mind however that if you’ve been editing the files in that folder, then you’ll need to save them to another location, since they’re not syncing to the site.

Hope this info helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 5

Thanks for getting back .. I am afraid something might be worng because I remember that being so a long time ago.. but I cant now see where the folders are in Dropbox account ...the very ones that are listed under preferences and then accounts then sync and then select folders ( had to google all over the place just to find the deselect feature... should be more obvious!! not in the preference in the account why not.. no it is in this teensy tiny gear up in theDB icon that you need to drop down, geez). ...where are they ?  The folders??? I also lost the icon that alows me to create new folder...  so this means if I put just files not in any particular  folder, I can't deselect it or even find them? where are all the files I put in dropbox?

You can see I dont have a sense of workflow or of the architecture  because I dont understand how to get the files that I am dragging to dropbox icon to go into a particular fle... and I dont see any folders or indication of what folder a file is when I am in the account  file list in dropbox...hours of googling piecemeal info..painful!

Level 5

Jay I do not see the list where the fles have a minus sign to indicate that they have been unsynced . Where do I find it? I see files when I search by name .. but was hoping to find a master list of all my files as I woun't always know the names to run a search....and when I bring up the file, there is no status indicated I have deselected it. I am searching in the dropbox account online.

Is there a master list to view to see what files have been unsynced and synced?

Level 5

Is there a place in the account that I could review to see what all is synced and unsynced ? There is no minus sign to see as was suggested and in fact I cant see my complete files.. I have to search and so I am worried when I dont remember the names of all my folders and want to review them. 

I also would like to know if you are adding to a folder that is unsyced, does that file automatically become unsynced? 

When you unsyced a folder does the file on my hardrive disappear? I thought so but I have files with same name there.. perhaps they were copies ?

Re: Is there a master list to view to see what files have been unsynced and synced?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for the reply, I’m having a little trouble understanding the issue at the moment. I merged your other question with this thread to keep them together.

Are you not able to create new folders in your Dropbox folder on your machine? Can you not create them on the site?

Selective sync can only be accessed from the Dropbox desktop application, via the gear icon > Preferences > Sync. 

From there you can see all folders on your account online. If they have a ☑ then it means they will sync to your machine. 

If they’re like this, , then they are prevented from syncing to your machine, and thus shouldn’t even appear there, since those deselected folder are automatically deleted from the local machine.

If the folders are deselected, but have a gray minus symbol, it means that the folders didn’t delete, hence my question.

Let me know if the folders are visible, and any other info that could be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

unsynced files that you selectively unsynced still on Mac hardrive..
5 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post