Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

video not playing powerpoint

New member | Level 2

Hi all,

Im having an issue with my powerpoint doc.  I have created a ppt file and inside the doc there is 2 pages with videos and the other pages are still images ( jpgs. )

Everything plays fine on my computer. I upload the ppt to dropbox, open it in dropbox and the videos do not play. When I share a link of the ppt and someone views it on the web the videos do not play. If they download the file they play fine.

Why cant I see the videos inside of ppt while its on dropbox?

Thanks

Alex

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: video not playing powerpoint

Dropboxer
Hey there @alexmont,

Firstly, can you try using a different web browser to see if the issue persists there too? Also, if you can try using an incognito/private window to see if there are any specific browser extensions that are affecting this behaviour. Could you let me know which browsers you tried this with yourself?

If you’re still seeing the same issue with the videos not playing, can you let me know the overall size of your PowerPoint file and, if possible, the videos within?  

Also, can you just clarify for me, when you are looking at the file from your end, are you viewing it directly within your Dropbox account or also through the shared link?

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for the reply.

Let me see if I can answer your questions for you.

I have tried , IE, Chrome and Safari all do not show the video. I tried a incognito window in chrome and it still doesnt work.

The powerpoint presenation is 75mb one video is 21mb and the other video is 46mb

I am viewing it both with in the dropbox account and the shared link

Dropboxer

Thanks so much for taking the time to find that info and trying the steps!

So from what I could find on this on my end and the info you provided me there, you wouldn’t be able to play these videos through the preview on the website. When viewing on the website (either through a shared link or in your account), you see the video almost as an image of the video, correct? This is because the preview isn't opening the whole file, just a "preview" of it.

This is why when you actually open the file, either by downloading this locally or opening it with Microsoft PowerPoint online, you’re able to play the videos within. So to be able to play the videos the recipients will need to download the file and you can open the file itself in Microsoft PowerPoint online.

If you have any other questions about this then please let me know - Thanks!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Thats kind of what I thought.

Let me ask you, do you know of any app that will run on a Ipad that will allow you to download dropbox files and view them?

Dropboxer

While I wouldn’t be able to speak for all apps, generally an app that can open the specific file type should allow you to open, view and/or the file. So, for example with your PowerPoint file, if you have the Microsoft PowerPoint app installed on your device, you’ll be able to open the file from your Dropbox mobile app.

Opening the files for full viewing or editing purposes just depends on the type of file you need to open, you’ll simply need an app that is able to open that file type.

I hope this helps - Cheers!

Daphne

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

video not playing powerpoint
5 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post