Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: what is cfl.dropboxstatic.com.url

New member | Level 2

Has anyone from dropbox ever replied on this? 

Dropboxer
Hi Charles,

Thank you for reporting this issue. At the moment our team is investigating and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Vicky

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! slightly smiling face

Super User II

I've seen this before, and have done it myself a few times.

Dropbox has the ability to save URLs that you drag into its window. That's all that's happening here. You're intending to click on something, whether to view or select, while you're still moving your mouse. Your browser sees this as a click and drag, and Dropbox treats that as though you're dragging something into its window. Basically, you're dragging a link into the Dropbox window and Dropbox is saving it. In this case it just happens to be a link to a Dropbox file or folder.

If you edit that URL file in a text editor you'll see the link that you dragged.

New member | Level 2

Hi Vicky - 

Same weird file in my folders. What is it ?

Thank you !

Super User II
...taps the microphone...

Is this thing on?

Edit the file in a text editor and look at the content.

Dropboxer
Hey guys, 

As my colleague mentioned earlier, we are currently investigating the exact cause of this file. However, I can confirm that the file can be safely deleted, with no effect on your files or your account! 

Thanks

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Super User II

Or @Sanchez you could read what @Rich said a fortnight ago (with no further posts since so not sure why the thread was bumped?) and look at the file which shows its a URL accidentally dragged in.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Super User II

Once again...

Rich wrote:

I've seen this before, and have done it myself a few times.

Dropbox has the ability to save URLs that you drag into its window. That's all that's happening here. You're intending to click on something, whether to view or select, while you're still moving your mouse. Your browser sees this as a click and drag, and Dropbox treats that as though you're dragging something into its window. Basically, you're dragging a link into the Dropbox window and Dropbox is saving it. In this case it just happens to be a link to a Dropbox file or folder.

If you edit that URL file in a text editor you'll see the link that you dragged.

New member | Level 2

I am getting this same thing. What is this? I just deleted it. I am hoping it wont affect my files.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi all, apologies for the confusion here — I can help provide some information.

Background:  Dropbox allows you to save website URLs to Dropbox as individual files. For example, if you were to navigate to www.dropbox.com, then drag and drop the URL from the URL bar of your web browser into Dropbox, it would result in a file being created called "www.dropbox.com.url". If you were to click on that file, it will open a new browser window or tab and take you to that page.

Now, about the "cfl.dropboxstatic.com.url" files: we had a temporary issue with our new redesigned website where, in some cases, dragging and dropping a file in your Dropbox on the website (for example, to drag it into another folder, or by accident) would mistakenly add it to your Dropbox as a URL file.

We've since fixed this issue, so you shouldn't see it happen again; however, if you have any of these cfl files in your account, you can simply delete them – they're harmless!

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

what is cfl.dropboxstatic.com.url
30 Replies
32 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey