Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

when playing stored videos the audio will not play

Explorer | Level 3

Our church records services (video w/ audio) and saves them to Dropbox. We then send links to a handful of folks to watch after the service. We've done this for a couple of years, no problem. But today, the audio is not working.

10 Replies

Re: when playing stored videos the audio will not play

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear about this @whizbangreed - does this persist on other browsers, an incognito window perhaps and/or after having cleared your browser's cache

If so, what kind of files are they exactly and how large? Do they open normally on your computer when you download them?

Any additional information will be also appreciated. Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

when I open the dropbox app on my desktop, the file plays perfectly. When I open it on my ipad, no audio. What we've done historically is I open the app, go to the file, click "share" and text the link to some and email it to others. This has worked for at least the past year. I checked with some who received files yesterday and it was working for them. They click the link on their ipad and it plays. Today, the audio won't play. 4 different people are all saying the same thing. 2 of them used it yesterday without any issue.

I trust I'm doing this right... my first time using this community, @walter 

Dropboxer

Can you all check if your devices are up to date? Would you mind sharing a link with me here to see how it behaves on my end? 

Are you by any chance seeing any errors? If so, attach a screenshot of those in your next reply too. 

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Here is a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mlfgp82rgcm0emx/2019-01-05%20Sat%20Eve.mp4?dl=0

My personal ipad did have an available update. I updated it and it is still the same.

No errors present.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the swift reply and additional information on this one @whizbangreed - most appreciated.

I've reached out via email to the address you use for your forum's profile (thus creating a ticket for you with ID: 8823648 ) so we can have a further look into this as I also wasn't able to preview it properly through our website on my end. 

Take a look at my message and we'll take it from there.

Walter

Video plays with no audio

New member | Level 2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dbzppafqgofl480/JHOboe3.mov?dl=0 

This video plays with no audio. A week or so ago the audio was fine. 

Obviously I've checked volume settings and tried on iPhone, iPad and iMac (the video was created on the iMac and plays perfectly from the dropbox folder within Finder). There are no updates outstanding on the iPhone or iPad.

Same thing happens in Chrome and IE on a Windows 8 machine.

There's another question, assigned 8823648where the problem seems to have been fixed (because the audio works now) but I'm stuck! 

Re: Video plays with no audio

Dropboxer

Hey there @JoeKing - sorry to hear about this. 

I've reached out via email to the address you use for your forum's profile so we can have a further look into this (ticket with ID:8827384 ). 

Take a look for my message and we'll take it from there. 

By the way I moved your post under this thread to keep things within our forums as they seem to be related (also the ticket ID you mentioned was on this thread - are you somehow connected to @whizbangreed?) 

Walter

updloaded and shared two videos. Only one is playing sound.

New member | Level 2

we have uploaded two mp4 files to share.  One is a small clip from within the larger.  The smaller plays audio fine.  The larger does not.  Both play fine locally.  Different browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox) don't make a difference. We have removed and re-uploaded the files multiple times with the same results.  The larger file has no sound but the smaller one does.

Any ideas?  Are we missing something?

Thanks!

Re: updloaded and shared two videos. Only one is playing sound.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the report @turtle_slow - I've just moved your post under this thread as it's practically the same issue - previewing of video files (through shared links) on our website isn't working properly as the audio seems to be missing; when the files are downloaded they work normally. 

I also reached out to you via email directly to work on this so we can get to the bottom of this as soon as possible. Take a look at your inbox for my message (ticket with ID: 8827598and we'll take it from there.

Thanks again for your undivided patience and cooperation on this one fellas!

Walter

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

when playing stored videos the audio will not play
10 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post