cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is dropbox so slow when number of files increases?

why is dropbox so slow when number of files increases?

kshafi
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Dropbox is unusable (and I mean it) as the number of file increases (I have more than 2 million files). What is the use of 1T tier when you cann't really use it (syncing takes forever for a simple additional file, the selective sync seems broken, etc.). It seems this issue has been around for a long time reading the issues. When are you going to fix this? I assume this is a fundemantal issue that Dropbox is unable to solve given their software architecture. I wish I knew this limitation. I am writing this for others to know as well. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, the following article does explain that this is generally related to the specifications of the machine that is syncing the files.

While I don’t work in the department that maintains the app, I imagine the performance hit comes from simply having to monitor so many files at the same time. 

Currently, there isn’t anything that can be done to improve this, as the Dropbox servers are working fine; it’s the computer(s) itself causing the bottleneck and needing more time to process the changes as well as keeping tabs on all the files at the same time.

I hope this helps to clarify matters.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, the following article does explain that this is generally related to the specifications of the machine that is syncing the files.

While I don’t work in the department that maintains the app, I imagine the performance hit comes from simply having to monitor so many files at the same time. 

Currently, there isn’t anything that can be done to improve this, as the Dropbox servers are working fine; it’s the computer(s) itself causing the bottleneck and needing more time to process the changes as well as keeping tabs on all the files at the same time.

I hope this helps to clarify matters.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

clairearthur
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a brand new 2019 MacBook pro. 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16GB memory.  In other words, almost as good as a laptop can get. So if this problem exists for me, it should theoretically exist for everyone, and is not likely related to hardware issues or machine specs.

designs07
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have a 2019 iMac Retina 5k 27" and I have been experiencing terrible sync waits for at least a couple months now. No changes on my system to have caused this. It's not right. Think it's time to look elsewhere for my storage service needs. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @designs07, thanks for nudging us on this thread and sorry to hear that you're having trouble syncing. 

I'd be more than happy to help, I'll just need a bit more info on this, such as:

• What does the Dropbox icon next to your computer's clock show when you hover over it?
  • Are you getting any error messages?
  • Do you see the syncing icons on your files when you navigate through the Dropbox folder on your Finder and the desktop app?

Keep us posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

designs07
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Lusil Dropbox icon shows "Indexing 6,950 files" when I hover over it. When I click once on the tray icon, it says "Syncing 6,950 files 2+ days". I see some syncing icons. I see some files with no icon that should have synced a long time ago. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for checking that out for me, @designs07

Could you try the steps shown in this post and let me know if you see a change in behavior at all? 

Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

designs07
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Did the steps. Today it's been stuck all day at 242 files synching (2+ days). 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm glad to hear that the count has atleast gone down, @designs07.

Since you mention that it's stuck though, I've sent you a ticket so that we can have a better look into it. 

Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Kurdicak
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
This issue is still not solved even now. I’m still experiencing this issue now and I have a super high end Windows workstation computer and I use an Ethernet cable with my router that does more than 2mbs upload speeds. It’s been trying to synch my files on my local machine for more than 2 weeks. But it has still only done only 10 percent of the files.

This does not seem to be a user issue but rather a Dropbox issue.

Also, the selective synch option and the Savin to local pc options on the Dropbox service, whether using the app or on the browser, does not work.

Dropbox is becoming a nuisance and many people are now starting to complain about it all over the world. I’ve been advised not stop my subscription and to look for alternatives.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Kurdicak New member | Level 2
    designs07 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?