cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues - updated July 19th see more

Error 429: Shared links are generating too much traffic & have been temporarily disabled(banned).

SOLVED
Go to solution
224 Comments
74 Kudos
Dropboxer

Re: My account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

Ah, great to hear that this has now been fixed for you loso & thanks for sharing your thoughts here, I’ve made sure to pass them on to our team for future reference! 

Please don’t hesitate to get back in touch with us here in case you experience any issues in the future & we’ll do our best to check back with you. Cheers! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted
Level 3

Why are all my links banned?

II run an online website where my community and I provide music to  subscribers. I just came home from Vacation and have had multiple people complain to me about th DropBox Links not working.

When will my links be unbanned? 

I keep getting this message:

Error (429)

This link is temporarily disabled. The person who shared it hit their daily limit of traffic or downloads. Learn about traffic limits.

Could someone help me

Dropboxer

Re: Why are all my links banned?

Sorry to hear about this @DINiro - I think you've already answered your question - as you're sharing those links via a public website, it's only normal that they might have caused your account to exceed its bandwidth allowance. 

Just a quick note on this: To prevent abuse, Dropbox accounts have the following limits:

1. Basic (free) accounts: 20 GB of bandwidth and 100,000 downloads per day
2. Plus, Professional, and Business accounts: 200 GB and unlimited downloads per day.

Moreover, when we receive a DMCA takedown notice, it means that we’ve been asked to remove shared links (or file requests) for content in your Dropbox account. Your links are then temporarily or permanently “banned,” due to one of the following reasons:

• The link generated a large amount of traffic. (probably what happened in this case)
  • The link exceeded our bandwidth or download limits.
  • The link went to copyrighted content.

From what you described, I think one or more of your links were banned, due to one of the following reasons (both apply to your case):

- You shared a link with someone who then shared it with lots of other people (and who downloaded the file).
- You shared a link with someone who downloaded it lots of times.

Bear in mind that every single upload and download—even made by the same person multiple times—counts toward your bandwidth limit. For example, if you have a 2 GB file and someone downloads it five times, that’s 10 GB of bandwidth.

A good way to tackle this would be to create new links from a new Dropbox account. However, the same bandwidth limitations will apply.

• Note: Shared links are banned temporarily (1 day for the first time), and will be restored when the ban has expired. You should be able to use shared links and file requests afterwards normally. 

Final note on this: Dropbox doesn’t offer a way to buy additional bandwidth allowance for your account.

I hope this information helps clear things up. 

If you think that your links have been suspended incorrectly and you'd like to have this reviewed by our team, log a ticket with our Support team and inform them accordingly or if you'd like me to put you in touch with a member of my team instead, let me know and I'll reach out via email. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

So how long am I banned for? I can't share any links? and also by me deleting the link after sending it out, is it a good way to combat the link getting shared? 

Super User II

Bans depend upon if its your first one or your subsequent ones. Inital bans are usually 24 hours.

Yes, deleting the link will stop other people accessing it and downloading the file and so using your bandwidth.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Still stuck? Contact Support directly, or ask a question on the community.
Still stuck?
Top Contributors
Rich 4933
Mark 3902
Jane 1121
Greg K. 830
Tom_M 886