cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Transfers

File Transfers

Ageranger361
New member | Level 2
I have a website on an Apache server that I need to move some large media files onto from Dropbox. Is there any way to transfer my Dropbox files over without downloading to my location, either by FTP, or any other method. My physical location has really really really bad internet. I can’t download first then upload them. I’m using bluehost which has cpanel and file manager.
1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Dropbox doesn't offer an FTP interface, but it does offer an API you can use for transferring files, among other operations.

It does offer typical upload and download functionality, but it sounds like that wouldn't be ideal for your scenario. One possible alternative, if you can get Internet-accessible links to the files you need to transfer, would be to use /2/files/save_url instead. That allows you to save files to Dropbox by supplying Dropbox URLs to those files, instead of downloading/uploading the data locally.

Those are links to the documentation for the HTTPS endpoints themselves, but we recommend using one of the official SDKs if possible. Those have corresponding native methods for the HTTPS endpoints. The API v2 Explorer may also be helpful.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?