cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is traverse_only for?

What is traverse_only for?

scrouet
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I noticed the traverse_only entry within several endpoints' returns (create_folder_v2, list_folder...). What is it for and how can it be set?

6 Replies 6

chirstius
Dropbox Staff

Hello @scrouet,

traverse_only is one of several possible access rights a given user can have to content within Dropbox, as stated in our Content Access Guide here:
https://www.dropbox.com/developers/reference/content-access-guide

traverse-only: If true, the user only has traversal rights on the folder.
Explicitly enumerating the folder with list_folder will only return the subset of paths the user
has access to.

This basically means that the user in question may have full access to sub-folders while not necessarily having full access to all of the parent folders. Yet in order to access the sub-folders, the user needs to "traverse" the parent folder(s). The user can't read or see any contents but for the sake of folder tree structure navigation, they are allowed to move through those folders to get to the content they do have access to.

The Content Access Guide describes all other possible values as well.

Hope that helps!

-Chuck

scrouet
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Chirstius,

Thank you for your answer. Is there a way to set it? When I share a sub-sub-folder of a team folder to a group, without granting any access on its parents folders (because I do not want to grand access to other sub-sub-folders), this sub-sub-folder is displayed directly at the top level of the users' Dropbox, without complete tree-structure. This is not much user-friendly.

chirstius
Dropbox Staff

@scrouet-

I have a hunch that your team has not moved to Team space and member folders yet, which means the results you are seeing are to be expected. Under the previous model if you share a folder with a user that does not have access to the root Team folder, it will be handled as if it's regular share. You can find this information here:
https://www.dropbox.com/help/business/team-folders

So for the moment, this is the expected behavior.

-Chuck

scrouet
Explorer | Level 3

We use team folders, but it seems it is the old structure (no purple folder with one person on it). How can we migrate?

chirstius
Dropbox Staff

@scrouet,

That's a little outside of my area of expertise so I suggest reaching out to our Business Support Center and seeing if they can get you headed down the right track:

https://www.dropbox.com/support/email/business_and_teams/submit

Thanks,

-Chuck

scrouet
Explorer | Level 3

OK.

Thank you for your help.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

scrouet Explorer | Level 3
    chirstius Dropbox Staff