Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

11 Comments
7 Likes
Highlighted
Community Manager

Recovering and restoring deleted files or folders on Dropbox

If you're like me, you're familiar with the sinking feeling you get in your stomach when you've accidentally deleted something. The good news is, there's a way to restore deleted files and folders with Dropbox!

Restoring a deleted file or folder
  1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Click Files in the left sidebar.
  3. Click Deleted files in the left sidebar.
  4. Locate the deleted file or folder you want to recover, and click on the name.
  5. Click Restore.

For more details and how-to's see this article. Also, reply here to let us know if you have follow up questions!

11 Replies

Re: Recovering and restoring deleted files or folders on Dropbox

Can I use Dropbox for chat

Community Manager

Hi @Nurudeenwemah! For a full description of Dropbox features, visit our website at https://www.dropbox.com/business/tour. While chat is not the core functionality of Dropbox, there are certainly ways to communicate within Dropbox, Dropbox Paper, and more. 

Level 3

What if the deleted files are no longer visible in the Deleted Folder, how to recover those files?

Community Manager

Hi @JohnSunder! If you can't view your deleted files in the Deleted folder, then I recommend that you reach out to Dropbox's support team here. They'll be happy to help! 

Super User II

@JohnSunder

Please also remember that you can only recover within the time limits of your account (30 days for free users). So if you are not a paid user and the files were deleted over that time scale they are unrecoverable. 

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 2

Hello,
I want to restore my account to a previous event. I mean roll back my dropbox account. Can i get any help?
Community Manager

Hi @Wasi1! I recommend that you reach out to Dropbox's support team here. They'll be happy to help you work through specifics. slightly smiling face 

Is it possible to BULK restore multiple files? I accidentally deleted a bunch of pictures and as far as I can tell, I have to recover them one-by-one, which is very tedious.

Community Manager

Hi @MadisonStreet! As far as I know, from the user end the restore happens one by one. However, our support team may be able to help you do something in bulk. I recommend that you reach out to Dropbox's support team here. slightly smiling face 

Get Started

If you're new to using Dropbox, this is the right place!

Check out these articles to learn the basics, or post your own question

Learn more about the community

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post