Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues are updated here. Learn more
2 Comments
11 Likes
Highlighted
Dropboxer

Using Shared Links & File requests. What does it look like for the sender and the recipient?

Howdy folks,  upside-down face

I’m Jane & I’d like to delve into the sharing options for users who are experiencing space limitations by suggesting an alternative approach. Without further ado, let’s have a look on how to utilize Shared Links 🔗 & File Requests 🗃️ in combination!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

2 Replies
Dropboxer

Re: Using Shared Links & File requests. What does it look like for the sender and the recipient?

I'd like to share folders with people that don’t have Dropbox. How can I do that? 

By using Shared Links & File Requests combined of course! You’ll just have to create a shared link (hence granting your colleagues view-only access to your contents) & then you‘ll just send them a File Request, where they can upload right into your account.

You may have a look at these steps if you’d like to share a link to a certain folder on your account, where others (with or without a Dropbox account) will contribute:

Step #1:

When logged in on your account online, hover your mouse over the folder you’d like to share, and click on the Share button that pops-up. > Then, click on Create a link and afterwards Copy link.

image_preview (13).png

(Thus you’ll get a shareable link, that will be copied to your clipboard & you can paste it on your email, a website or a chat session. Anyone accessing it will be able to see and download your files.)

Step #2:

Moving forward, so as to collect files back on your “Monthly Reports” folder, check these steps:

Log in to your account online & go to the File requests tab. > From there, click Create a new file request.> Under What are you requesting?, you may enter a name for the folder that will store all collected files. > & under Where should these files go in your Dropbox?, you'll see the path to the new folder auto-populate there. In order to change the folder's location, click on Change folder & you'll be redirected to your folder-tree.

CreateFileRequest.png

From there, click the Next button. > On the Send file request screen you can copy the file request link and include it in an email by clicking the Copy link button. Or you can enter emails of the people you need files from, and we'll send an invitation to upload files to the file request for you. Should you opt to follow this route, you can even add a message to the recipient in case you'd like to include further details. 🗣️ 🗪

image_preview (15).png

(Note: If you’re using a Dropbox Professional or Business account, you can add a deadline for these submissions. Click Add a deadline  to set your deadline. You can also Allow late uploads  and choose a timeframe.)

Following, when you click Next > & then click on Copy link, you can copy the file request link and send it to anyone you want to request files from. Or you can enter emails of the people you need files from and send the file request directly from Dropbox. FileRequestSent.png

Aaaand... click Done! When someone contributes to your project, you'll receive an email in your inbox, so as to check back on these files. 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Dropboxer

Re: Using Shared Links & File requests. What does it look like for the sender and the recipient?

Here’s what it looks like to the recipient: 

Step #1:FileRequestRecipient1.png

Once they find your File Request invite in their inbox, they’ll have to click the Upload files to... > In the browser window that loads, they’ll be prompted to Choose from computer or Choose from Dropbox to upload a file. 

Step #2:
FileRequestRecipient2.png

When all their files are uploaded, your colleagues (or even friends) are prompted to enter their first, last name, & email address so you can see who has sent the files over. >When they click Upload, the file transfer will start immediatelyWhite check mark

(To be continued...)

Jane

Get Started

If you're new to using Dropbox, this is the right place!

Check out these articles to learn the basics, or post your own question

Learn more about the community

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post